The Firearms Forum banner

Which bolt action

• Winchester

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Savage

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Remington

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Other (please explain answer with a post)

Votes: 8 27.6%

In your opinion, what gun maker makes the best bolt action centerfire rifle?

13K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  CJ_56 
#1 ·
I personally am partial to savage, but I'm interested to see what you all say.

#10 ·
For the sub $1000 rifles, I'll go with Browning. I have 2 X-bolts and wouldn't trade them for any other sub $1000 rifle manufacturer. The fit and finish is excellent and they are both very accurate.

I find it hard to believe that I could be any more accurate or shoot smaller groups with a Savage than I do with my Brownings.

For the premium rifles, I would love to try a Cooper or Dakota Arms. Hopefully in a year or 2 I'll own one.

#12 ·
I'd have to go with the Remington 700's and the Savage.
Ive owned and own a few Remington's (788, 700) and the Savages (110, 116, 12).
If I'd have to pick the best of the best as far as the bolt action between the two,
(rem/savage) I'd have to go with the bolt action of the Rem. Model 788 due to the
9 lug locking bolt.
It locks up tight as a drum and has been "one" of the better shooting rifles I've owned.

#13 ·
Weatherby, then Winchester.
It is wierd tome that weatherbys cheaper rifle, the vangaurd 2, comes with a Sub MOA guarantee while the mark v, which is much more expensive, has a 1.5 MOA guarantee. :dontknow:

#18 ·
I have Winchesters, Weatherby's and Sako's, but, my go to is my Remington 700 Sendero in .308.

#19 ·
Hard to say which manufacturer is "best", but I think McMillan would be at the top.
Yeah I should've specified reasonably priced, like under $1500

#21 ·
never shot a mac then eh ? thats ok

it will redo what you call reasonable
I just spent 30 minute on their website oogling guns I will never be able to afford *insert drooling smiley here*

#24 · (Edited)
If you're talking "production" guns, then you ought to take a really hard look at CZ.

But nothing production is going to match up to a good custom gun.
Yeah I own a CZ 452 that I love, but I've never had (or shot) a center fire CZ

#25 ·
God that McMillan Tactical Hunter is nice. I might just not buy a gun for the next 12 years and get that :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.