index problem

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by snort, Jul 3, 2007.

1. snort

snort New Member

I recently acquired a very abused ASM 1849 (?) Wells Fargo .31 cal. pistol. (I know it's not the '62 model). It jams and will not index 2 of the 5 chambers, but if you hand rotate the cylinder only about a 1/8th of an inch or less it will rotate just fine. One gun smith wouldn't touch it and another said it wasn't worth fixing. Probably true but all I have is time, so why not try. I've smooth out, I believe, All the rough spots on the cylinder. I was told the hand was Ok, but it look like it's worn down lopsided. Anybody had this problem or any ideas? :confused:

Snort
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The first step is to find out if you can get parts for the piece. If so, then see if you can find a manual with a detailed breakdown.

Get both and have at it.

Pops
  3. snort

snort New Member

Thanks for the input. Have access to most ASM parts and have schemematic. Lack knowledge of what first to look at/for this type problem. The person that had this piece before me really hammered on it around the wedge and barrel/frame area but doesn't look like it has been shot much. Cylinder star looks like it has moderate abuse and appears to have had to been 'punched off' on more than one occassion. Cylinder stop does not hang up with cylinder removed. Could abused or improperly seated nipples cause this problem? I'm waiting for the small nipple wrench to be delivered, so I haven't been able to check that possibility out yet.

S.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

There are several things which can cause indexing problems, but it sounds as if you have other issues, as well. Some of the other guys who know much more than I will be checking in here soon, I expect.

In the meantime, take a look at this forum. I think you are going to be busy for awhile on this weapon. :D

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi

Pops