1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Indian Martini-Henry

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by searcher5, Sep 26, 2005.

1. searcher5

searcher5 New Member

This is what appears to me to be an Enfield Martini Henry MK1 Calvary Carbine. It has the Pattern 1853 Socket Bayonet. This rifle has what appears to be copper or brass tacks decorating the stock. It has several small square nails driven in places around the stock to tighten it up. These appear to be more the size of horseshoe nails, instead of carpentry nails. This rifle was found wrapped in oilcloth and buried south of Dodge City. The oilcloth was pretty much rotted away. There really are no markings left, but you can barely make out the word Enfield and the crown insignia on the right side. The rifle is rusted all over, but it has not rusted to the point of rotting and flaking. The action is loose, and I think could be made to open with a little care, but why? The bore is very rusty, but is not clogged. This is obviously just a wall hanger, but with what appears to be Indian Decorations, and the manner that it was found in, has me stumped as to a value. I would appreciate you thoughts, comments and opinions of value and collectability. Thanks a lot in advance, Dan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

No idea as to the value, but it would appear it was fairly pristine when buried. That would be my judgement after looking at the screw heads and sharp angles of the receiver. I hope it was documented when found. No doubt buried for someones stash and some are doing the very same thing today, less the oil cloth. What a treasure!! I would look at some of the Indian books on the tacking. Sometimes it can narrow down the date,tribes-conflicts,ect. Very nice find.

LTS