1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Indian Wars - Best Commanders

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

WyomingSwede
    (6/24/01 7:50:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Indian Wars - Best Commanders
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thought I'd start another topic....I always thought that Crook & Forsyth were underrated as far as results and common sense went in this period. Thought Ranald McKenzie(sp) was underrated also...I think he went insane and died of syphilis??
    Admittedly you still have the glory hounds like Custer & Fetterman. I never thought that Miles or Gibbon did a whole lot either. Guess it goes to show a good politician goes farther than a good commander. OR that it doesnt hurt to marry a superior officers niece or a congressmans daughter.
    Thoughts anyone?? regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

Xracer
    (6/24/01 8:14:40 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Indian Wars - Best Commanders
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Geronimo, Cochise, and Phil Sheridan.

Also, Chief Joseph made a magnificent retreat....he almost made it to Canada. Too bad he didn't.

the real fredneck
    (6/24/01 8:19:14 am)
    the Indian wars were ultimately settled (won) by liars and cheats

WyomingSwede
    (6/24/01 11:30:04 am)
    Sitting Bull made it to canada...didnt get him any where. Red Cloud was the only Indian Leader that actually won a war with the US...even then it didnt last.
    Wyoming Swede

reedbuster
    (6/24/01 1:04:48 pm)
    I seem to recall that the Fla. Seminoles never signed a treaty with the U.S. Can anyone confirm this? Maybe that doesn't make for good command but it sure shows tenacity.
    Is that a pickle in your pocket? .....

kdubaz
    (6/24/01 5:39:09 pm)
    Crook always seemed to get done what he set out on his mule to do, especially here in Ariz.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/25/01 10:30:13 pm)
    Yeah, I liked Sheridan, even if he was a primadonna in the Civil War.

There's a good story about Wilder's Lightning Brigade at Chickamauga, who had just run into Longstreet's Veterans from the east, just transferred by train from Gettysburg, and they had stopped and dug in, knowing their Spencers and Lilly's 10 gun battery could stop them. Just then a group of "pretty" cavalry officers ride up yelling "Make way for Sheridan! Make way for Sheridan!"

The Indiana boys smilingly let Sheridan lead his cavalry through the lines and charge the woods to their front, and a few minutes later were yelling "Make way for Sheridan! Make way for Sheridan!" when they ran into Longstreet's Infantry and they came galloping right back "in headlong retreat" with Sheridan in the lead.

Made quite a few of their letters home, and they never let up on them in every reunion they met a Sheridan man at for years!

Actually, the guy I liked best was Old "Black Jack" Pershing and what he did with the 9th and 10th, both against the Indians and at San Juan Hill.

Then we made them stevedores in WWI...what a waste.

44rugerfan
    (6/26/01 3:33:11 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Indian Wars - Best Commanders
    The seminoles never signed a treaty with the US. They just melted back into the swamps.
    For what he did with what he had against what he was up against, Geronimo. I read somewhere he is considered the inventor of "guerrila" warfare.
    Hunt. Kill. Repeat.

obelix2
    (6/28/01 2:15:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Okay, Polish
    Great anecdote, but it couldn't happen. Phil Sheridan commanded an infantry division in the XX Corps. This was mostly caught in movement and in the flank by Longstreet, after the unfortunate Wood misunderstanding.

But Sheridan didn't command cavalry until he was brought East by Grant after Missionary Ridge.

On the topic (best Indian fighter): Clive.

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/28/01 2:32:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Okay, Polish
    You're right again, OB, he commanded a Regiment of Infantry at Chickamauga, not cavalry. I HAVE to have that sear on my mouth/brain checked...I think HE was on a horse, though, does THAT count???

BUT the anecdote of "Make way for Sheridan" is recounted first hand in both the history of Wilder's Lightning Brigade AND the History of Lilly's 18th Indiana Battery, and in MANY letters home from the combatants.

But no matter, he DID stumble on Longstreet, and came back faster than he went...WITHOUT bothering to inquire what the Lightning Brigade already knew that could have saved him some caualties...

I love it when you keep me honest, Ob...