1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Infallible 32ACP Pistol

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, ampaterry,

I think the most interesting patent I ever ran across was the electric cannon ball. I think it was from sometime around 1900. It had a small battery inside and the idea was that when it went through an enemy soldier, it would electrocute him.

I guess the inventor, like others, was so fascinated by electricity (the electric chair came from the same era) that he never even realized that the cannon ball would kill the poor guy with or without the useless battery.

Jim
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Good grief!!
    Unbelievable!

There was an application for an emergency escape device for use in case of fire in the 'new fangled' skyscraper buildings. It was a top hat with a chin strap that would release a parachute so one could just jump out a window - -
    Didn't this guy ever even HEAR of hangings?
  3. ampaterry

I have chastized myself for topic drift.
    Seven days in the Western Caribbean will do that to a person -

Sorry, folks -
  4. Austing

Austing New Member

I would love to own one of those for my .30-.32cal collection... Gonna keep my eyes peeled in case a local gun show ever has one! And is the average price really $600-$900? I'd figure with only 7000 out there (Less than that in good working order), in addition to the age, it would be over $1000.

What's the magazine capacity, and how rare/expensive is a second mag?
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Another case of rarity not automatically bringing a high price. It is the old law of supply and demand and I don't think many folks are lined up demanding Infallible pistols. That is about the same total production as the Colt First Model Dragoon, but I seem to recall that the Dragoon runs a bit more than an Infallible.

The magazines hold seven rounds, but they are unobtainable and AFAIK there are no repros. The ones on my two guns don't interchange; they appear identical but are not, and the mag catches are different. They show signs of hand fitting. I seem to recall that only one magazine came with the guns, so there were not a lot of extras, and I don't know of anything else that would fit or could be made to fit.

Jim
  6. maugwie

maugwie New Member

I have a german model in good condition i would like to sell. it is missing the magazine, but otherwise is in good working condition, has the mag release on the bottom. it is not the infalible it is the actual w.a. schwartszlose 32 caliber, not made in america.
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome to TFF maugwie ! you can post a free ad for it here in the sale trade area if you wish , a pic or two would help as well

cheers !
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Just so the folks above know how important they are...this thread is the only reference footnoted in the Wikipedia article about the Warner Davis Infallible. It badly needs editing (hint, hint). Not this thread - the article.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. sonnyboy

sonnyboy New Member

My thanks to ampaterry for the scanned article. :thumbsup:

I just bought [won] one of these on an online auction site.

Still trying to figure out how to disassemble these...Doesn't seem to be any instructions anywhere...Except this...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  10. ampaterry

Your welcome, and I am glad you found it useful.

I no longer have access to one of these interesting pistols, so I am unable to try to help you figure out the disassembly of one.

Some of the others here DO have them, and I am sure they will ring in with explicit instructions.
  11. ej38

ej38 Member

i have an infallible. recently purchased.i would like to get into mine without destroying it! hope someone comes up with instructions. i have a question, from what i have found the last serial no. should be app. 7300. mine is # 7572. wonder how this happened ?????
    they had several on *** ****** last week. DON"T LIKE THIS CROWD! had bad deals with them. GUN AUCTION is where i purchased mine.
    i am lost on this sight. to old for computers. i wanted this on the infallible discussion, if any one knows how to move it,i would appreciate it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  12. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

sonnyboy's post of 10/11/2012 on the previous page contained a tiny picture of instructions for taking apart the two main versions of the Infallible. If you click on it, it gets slightly bigger, but you really need to adjust your browser to enlarge it to 250% or so to make it readable. That is easy if you use Chrome as your browser (click on the stack-of-pancakes looking thing in the upper right), but not if you are using something else. Sorry.

Donald Simmons wrote an excellent article about the Infallible in the 1975 Guns Illustrated, which is for sale (used) on Amazon for about $6, including shipping. It can also be read online here:

http://terryspictures.homestead.com/

but once again, you may have to enlarge it to read it easily. It does not include takedown instructions, unfortunately.

Some Infallibles with the rotating catch on the bolt for dismantling cannot be gotten apart because the recoil spring rods have peened too much for the bolt to come out. The Infallible was about the worst designed automatic pistol ever made, and the mediocre quality of manufacture didn't help anything. The frame is cast iron, BTW, which I believe is unique in automatic pistols.

PS - I have no explanation for your serial number. People who are interested in these pistols would probably much appreciate it if you could put up pictures of your gun and its serial number.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  13. ej38

ej38 Member

thanks, lanrezac. i looked this up. evidently i'm not set up for this. as many people as needs this, hope sonnyboy will make it larger. as far as the picture of my gun, be glad to post picture when i can get HELP. when i grew up there was one battery operated radio within five miles.this was not ours! i still live in this era.
  14. ej38

ej38 Member

i'm proud of my old self. i blew up insert and wrote it down, printed the magazine article.now i am ready to attempt dissembling mine. that is when i get up enough courage, or drunk enough. thank you all for your help!!! hope to get picture of mine on shortly.
  15. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Yep, when I was a kid an AM-only transistor radio the size of half a brick was a marvel. Sometimes what I expect to be able to do on the Internet just stuns me.

I should have said that the Infallible is not too hard to get apart (or back together) if you have the kind with the push-through pin in the bolt head. In fact, it is really too easy, because that pin and a little steel finger on the frame below the bolt are all that hold the bolt IN when the gun is fired.

Don Simmons, the author of the article you printed out, wrote a piece looking back on his personal history with guns. An Infallible was one of the first pistols he bought. I believe it fired one shot and then never worked again.