The Firearms Forum banner

Info needed: Nagoya Series 5 Type 99

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Detroit-1 
#1 ·
OK so i picked up a couple of type 99's.

I'm curious about one of them and the options that it may have come with.

It is a Series 5 from the Nagoya arsenal as shown below.

My question is; can anyone (Fatstrat maybe) tell me if this series came with monopod or Aircraft wings on the rear sight? I know of the markings website but I cannot find a website that discusses options for various series markings.

I'm also curious if my rifle is a Nagoya, would it definitively have come with a Nagoya bayonet or were those issued separately and from any arsenal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Series 5 was the beginning of the "Transitional" period at Nagoya. Rifles with very early serial numbers (which ran to 100K per series) would likely have had all the attachments. No one (that I am aware of) knows exactly where in serial number range changes began to occur. But basically it is possible that any series 5 could have any combination of attachments. They basically used up stores of attachments (AA sights, monopod, etc) at random until they ran out. Some ran out earlier than others. Some rifles will have something an earlier rifle doesn't. Anything is possible. Especially up to mid serial number range.
But by Series 5 some changes definately occurred. Stock color changed from honey blonde to reddish orange. Steel buttplate changed to wood. Long to short cleaning rod. If you have late a Series 5, it should reflect all of these changes.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, that helps a great deal. My Nagoya appears to have had the monopod and the Aircraft sight but both had been removed.

The stock had also been cut down so I'm a little unsure about the cleaning rod. The "Nagoya" stock I just picked up from fleabay does not have a cleaning rod hole in the front band and there is just a round metal piece where the cleaning rod release would have been.

Was the cleaning rod an ommision in the later years?

Michael

#4 ·
Possibly on the Monopod and AA sights. A Momonpos rear barrel band w/o monopod is common on a transitional rifle. As is AA type rear sight, minus the arms. It's one of those we'll never know.
Yes the cleaning rod was deleted on late war "Last ditch" T-99's. I'd have to see a pic of what you have to determine what it is.

#5 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of where the release should be on the stock I just got from fleabay . . . OOFTA! Don't tell me I got a last ditch stock! It had a metal but plate and looked exactly like a normal stock with the exception of the rod release. Or is that a "round" rod release? I ask because I have not pushed on it and there is no hole in the front plate for the rod.

My original cut-down stock had the monopod barrel band. Below is a link to the fleabay auction that I won for the stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-JAPANESE-TYPE-99-ARISAKA-RIFLE-STOCK-SET-ORIGINAL-/350792875354?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Ldwa8SK7tIqbcmLWM3H6feUHk2A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

#6 · (Edited)
Looks like an Early to transitional T-99 stock to me. If it's a Nagoya, it should be 5th series. The finish color was changed in the 5th series to a reddish orange. And 5th would be first Nagoya with short rod. There should be a hole for the rod.
Also, Front band will have 3 screws for long rod. 2 screws if short.

#7 ·
Glassparman what you need to do is buy the book The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka by Don Voigt. It has all the information you will need. Also the wood buttplate did not start until the very late seventh series not the 5th. You can find Don Voigt on the Gun Boards Forum under O3man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.