Info on 22 rifle accuracy

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by rgoberle, Nov 4, 2012.

1. rgoberle

rgoberle New Member

I am looking for advice on a 22 lr for rimfire matches. Shooting out to 150 yds. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I heard the CZ is pretty accurate, true?
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    True, also Savage, Remington, Anshutz, just look under target guns and find one that tickles your giggle and matches your wallet. Love my Savages but would jump at a chance to get my hands on a CZ 455 Super Match.
  3. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

:D
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. rgoberle

rgoberle New Member

22 for competition

I am looking for a 22 rifle to shoot rimfire matches. Distances out to 150 yards, accuracy a must. I hear CZ makes some real shooters. Any input will be appreciated.
  5. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

I bought a Ruger 77-22 when they first came out. I put a spring kit in the trigger to lighten the pull a bit. It does everything I could ask for in a .22 sporter. However I have never tried it at 150 yards. At 100 yards it will hold its own if I do my part.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  6. B27

B27 New Member

Are you talking 3 position, or some sort of informal match?

Also I just bought a used Remington model 513-T in excellent condition for all of $300.

The darned thing is a joy to shoot and is almost as accurate with the right ammo (Federal Match) as my Olympic level 10 meter air rifles.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Find an old Marlin 880SQ, 2000, or 7000...all bull barrels...all more precise than the average shooter :)
  8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

It is more of a matter of what fits you than a specific brand.
    My ancient Savage 24B O/U is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. FOR ME!
    You need to get out and handle a variety of rifles; shoot them too, if possible. Buy the one that FEELS right.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

rgoberle:

When it comes to new match 22LR target rifles you pretty much get what you pay for. Anschutz is probably the leader in this respect in the $700 to many thousands of dollars. You pay extra for tricky Olympic style stocks (totally adjustable) and for fully adjustable triggers (dual stage with ounce level let offs).

If it is a more normal rifle you are looking for, the bottom of the Anschutz line Silhouette rifle is set up for scope mounting with the correct stock for that and can be had with a better trigger that is a fully adjustable two stage. If I had to shoot in any contest that allowed it, that is the gun I'd take to the game if I could not afforded the better ones.

In the CZ line the CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer might be an option. But I can tell you it may not be in the same league as the Anschutz Silhouette. The trigger, while adjustable, is not adjustable to the same degree at all. There may be some bedding required for the CZ too. The Anschutz is good to go right out of the box and is priced around the CZ price ($900).

There are many used guns that might do the job but they too may take some trigger work and/or bedding work to shoot with most Anschutz rifles out of the box. You'll have to do some research but for some time years ago Anschutz was imported by Savage with Savage's name on them. That might be a rifle to try to find used.

If accuracy is what you are after then you'll have to pay the price. You'll not get an out of the box CZ to shoot accurately out to 150 yds, in my opinion without lots of work. The CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer May (??). When it comes to guns you intend to use in the field or for plinking, other guns have a hard time competing with the CZ's. The CZ's, across their entire line, are most certainly the most gun for the least money, in my opinion and I have several in all different calibers. But for a match gun you may need a step up if you can afford it.

LDBennett
  10. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Old Grump& Big Shrek answered to a T!:) Cliff