Info on a model 1911 A1 US Army hand gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by echoecho52, Dec 7, 2011.

1. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

Aloha all. I recently came into the possession of a model 1911 A1 US Army 45 caliber handgun. I was wondering if there was a way to search the history of this weapon. It appears in excellent condition... I have the serial number as well as 3 initials near the trigger guard. I would also be curious of its value. I also have close up digital photos if necessary. Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Dougie C.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

Unfortunately, i do not have a url for my images...merely JPEG images of the weapon. I will try and figure out how to do the url thing. thanks for your fast reply.
    Dougie C.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

You don't need a URL:

If you have digital photos on your PC, click on the Go Advanced tab below the reply screen, then under Additional Options click on the Manage Attachments tab, and browse to find and upload your photos.
  5. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

hope i do this right....thanks for your patience... please let me know if this works...and, again, thanks for your fast reply.
    Dougie C.

Attached Files:

6. terminator

terminator Member

I like it!!!
  7. Shooter45

Made in 1943
  8. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

thanks Shooter... is there any way to trace the initials near the trigger? I heard that those initials were the first user of the firearm...is that correct?
  9. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

thanks terminator...she is a beauty.
  10. Shooter45

No. It's the Gov't inspectors mark. Lt Col F. J. Atwood.
  11. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

ahhhh....got it. Mahalo for all of you help.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have one identical only its a 1941 and I say value is around 600-650.00 but maybe more to the right person. Is the pistol part of your family history or just something you came across? Are you looking to determine a value to keep or sell? Would you like to trade for an updated firearm of like value? Just curious.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

Aloha DoubleD,
    This piece was given to me by a client who was very pleased with my work on his project (i design residential single family homes). Im not really interested in selling this weapon (i also have a 1906 police safty, 5 shot 38cal pistol and i showed this to the client...he figured i might like this piece) but i was hoping there would be some way to trace the history of the piece thru the serial number.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

She's a beauty, alright...
  15. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever New Member

I am guessing that one has been refurbished. Didnt those during WW2 have a green tint to the parkerising?
  16. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

Not to sure of the history of the piece. But the gentleman I got it from said he got it from an estate of a friend that passed...he said he thinks is just been stored for many years...but I have no difinitive idea of its past.
  17. Shooter45

The pistol has been well cared for. Very nice for a military 1911.
  18. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun has been refinished, probably in an Army depot, but is in good shape nonetheless. The frame is Ithaca, though there is no way to tell whether the slide and frame were originally together.

Jim
  19. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

would it be alright if i went out and fired this piece... I would of course clean it immediately...or should i just leave it as it is.
  20. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can shoot that gun all you like and enjoy it. Like I said, I have a 41 that looks identical and is in comperable shape and its a good shooter. Dont be afraid to shoot it, thats what they were built to do. You will most likely get bit by the 1911 bug and want more. P.S. I cant be absolute certain but I would say the slide is original to the gun. After running my mouth I went back and checked my serial numbers on mine and I was wrong. I have a 44-45 not a 41. I remember how I mixed it up with a colt I was trying to purchase around the same time but anyhow, mine has a blue finish on it and not a parkerized finish and mine is sporting a set of cherry grips from carl wallace.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011