Info on a model 1911 A1 US Army hand gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by echoecho52, Dec 7, 2011.

1. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

Not to sure of the history of the piece. But the gentleman I got it from said he got it from an estate of a friend that passed...he said he thinks is just been stored for many years...but I have no difinitive idea of its past.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The pistol has been well cared for. Very nice for a military 1911.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun has been refinished, probably in an Army depot, but is in good shape nonetheless. The frame is Ithaca, though there is no way to tell whether the slide and frame were originally together.

Jim
  4. echoecho52

echoecho52 New Member

would it be alright if i went out and fired this piece... I would of course clean it immediately...or should i just leave it as it is.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can shoot that gun all you like and enjoy it. Like I said, I have a 41 that looks identical and is in comperable shape and its a good shooter. Dont be afraid to shoot it, thats what they were built to do. You will most likely get bit by the 1911 bug and want more. P.S. I cant be absolute certain but I would say the slide is original to the gun. After running my mouth I went back and checked my serial numbers on mine and I was wrong. I have a 44-45 not a 41. I remember how I mixed it up with a colt I was trying to purchase around the same time but anyhow, mine has a blue finish on it and not a parkerized finish and mine is sporting a set of cherry grips from carl wallace.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011