Info on Early Spanish Navajas folding knife ?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by OneFatCat, Apr 20, 2012.

1. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

I was hoping that someone on this site could shed some light on the knife that I was lucky enough to pick up from an estate sale here in Maryland. This came from a collection of a fairly wealthy man and I really do not know much about it. I understand that it was made in Toledo Spain and is called a Navajas knife and has inlaid handles (not sure what the material is in the handles) ..the knfe measures open about 17 inches and has a lock ring ...the blade is about 8 inches ...I understand that these style knives had the ring added around the mid 1800's ...thank you in advance for any info you can give ...Id like to know about when it might have been made ..what the handles are made of, opinion on condition and a value if you have an educated idea ,,,

OFC

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The handles are cow horn. The style of knife is a navaja. Probably Spanish, possibly Italian or French. I suspect it was made slightly before 1900.
  3. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Bill thank you for the information ...any idea as to value?

ofc
  4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

No, sorry.
    Check Ebay. They are frequently sold there.
  5. stede

stede Member

I like the shape of that blade... the handle doesn't look as though it provides a good grip for heavy work but I woulda bought it too, OFC- though I see it's up on eBay for a price too rich for me!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

The Navajas were never designed for heavy or hard use such as chopping wood or field work. They were designed for close in " slashing " . In the Mediterranean area knife fighting was very common among the lower classes and the purpose was to cut your opponent rather than delivers a killing blow. If you killed your opponent it meant a official investigation which sometimes meant a bad time down at the police station and a jail term. A few knife cuts over a perceived insult was usually overlooked.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  7. stede

stede Member

RJay, that makes perfect sense- and explains the macho contour of the blade.
  8. Croft

Croft New Member

Does it have a ratchet? Does it make a clicking sound when opening?