Info on IJA&C Target Sealed 8

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BNiemeyer, Jun 25, 2010.

1. BNiemeyer

BNiemeyer New Member

I recently inherited from my father subject revolver w 6" round barrel in like new condition (no box) blueing is perfect, no nicks or scratches though it looks like it has been fired. SN is only 3 numbers after the N and that seems to be fewer digits than others (N65x). I had heard I should not post the complete SN on line.
    I am trying to get an idea of value as well as safety of firing modern 22 LR 36-40 grain rounds.
    Bill
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a late production and should be safe with just about any 22 rimfire ammo, except 22 magnum. it was manufactured in the 1951/52 era.

I.J. TARGET SEALED 8 FIRST MODEL
    (LARGE FRAME OCTAGON BARREL) ---1932-1941
    This revolver is the first major improvement of the solid frame double action model since its introduction in 1900. Large solid frame double action with pull in cylinder release; the cylinder features recessed chambers that fully enclosed the cartridge case head. Grips are one piece checkered wood. Caliber: 22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Barrel shape is octagon; barrel lengths of 6 inches and 10 inches; Weight: 6 inch barrel 24 ounces, 10 inch barrel 27 ounces; Height with out grips 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: 6 inch barrel 10 ¾ inches, 10 inch barrel 14 ¾ inches. The 1938 catalog gives this revolver a model number: 6 inch barrel Model 68, 10 inch barrel Model 78. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$125

I.J. TARGET SEALED 8 SECOND MODEL
    (LARGE FRAME ROUND BARREL) ---1947-1954
    The TARGET SEALED 8 was also reintroduced after WW II with only minor modifications. The barrel shape is round and a new 4¼ inch length added. Does not have the “Hammer the Hammer” action, but does have the recessed chambers in the cylinder. Blue finish only with oversize checkered grips of wood or plastic, pull pin cylinder released. Caliber, 22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Barrel lengths: 4 ½ and 6 inches; Weight; 4 ½ inch barrel 22 ½ ounces, 6 inch barrel 24 ounces; Height without grips 3 7/8 inches: Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: 4 ½ inch barrel 9 ¼ inches, 6 inch barrel 10 ¾ inches. Model number continued to be 68.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUE: 100$=$240 60%=$120

I.J. SEALED 8 SNUB MODEL 68S
    (LARGE FRAME ROUND BARREL) ---1952-1954
    Large solid frame with pull pin cylinder release, blue finish only, does not have Hammer the Hammer action. Grips are small pocket size, two piece wood. Caliber .22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity, cylinder has recessed chambers; Barrel length 2 ½ inches; Weight 20 ½ ounces; Height 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall all length 6 ¾ Inches.
    DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUES: 100%=$265 60%=$135

bill
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. cillercc

cillercc New Member

Just came into possession of a Target Sealed 8, 9 shot .22 revolver with a 6inch barrel. Serial number stamped on trigget guard is N6862. Any info on age or value? I would like to clean it up and shoot it, as it has been in storage for a long time. But if it is worth leaving as is and not shooting, I will leave it.
  4. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to TFF, but if it's a Sealed 8, it's not a 9 shot! :)

It was made in 1951.