Info on Mossberg 46M(b)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by revis of bama, Apr 14, 2009.

1. revis of bama

revis of bama New Member

i'm trying to get some info on the mossberg 46m(b). my grandfather bought this gun in 1959 in atlanta, ga. . he paid $25 for it and i'm trying to get some history on that model. not trying to sell it. i think its in or around 95% condition. no rust, no dings or scratches in the stock. it does have a small crack in the stock on the right side below the saftey. i do not have original sling for it. still has all four sights. they all are in good condition.

the reason i'm trying to find information on this model is because i can not find a serial number on this gun. that seems a bit odd to me. there are no marks sudgesting that it has been filled off.

so if anyone may know something about this model feel free to e-mail me or just post something. i would like to know around when they start production on this model, what the price maybe on it now, things like that. once again not trying to sell.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Oh yea, welcome to The Firearms Forum.

EDIT: Deleted my comments except the welcome.
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

There will be NO serial number on these rifles, they were made long before 1968 when it became law to have one.

22 lr,l,s; tubular magazine, 15(lr), 18(l), 22(s). 23" barrel. Weight 7 lbs. Two piece Mannlicher stock with cheekpiece and pistol grip, swivels. No. S106 ramp front sight, No. 4 receiver sight, S107 rear. Made 1940 - 1945.

Model 46M(a) S100 sight replaces No. 4, made 1945-1947

Model 46M(b) S130 sight replaces S100, made 1947-1952

General Instructions for the 46M

1948 Mossberg Catalog page with the 46M
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. GunHugger

Why do so many people ask for help or info but never return?
  5. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

UMM.......because there are too many idiots in the world?

Just a guess.

Sometimes I do not get a chance to check back in for a few days so I am guilty also.

9 fingers
  6. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

I think most forget, because they may have asked that same question on 10 different sites......just surfing with abandon.
  7. gdmoody

Liktoshoot (backwards) I think you are right in your assessment. It is also possible that they do check back but do not respond again to the thread.
  8. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Be nice if they said thanks.
    9 fingers
  9. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Kind of bugs me too when they do that.
  10. GoBucks79

GoBucks79 New Member

Well I will say THANK YOU for this fellow!!! I just bought today, a Mossberg 46 M B, it is in FANTATIC shape, very clean. I am hoping it shoots well. I generally shoot muzzle loaders, old style and target exclusively. I have been looking for a bolt action tube fed 22 for MONTHS. I want some accuracy, dealer claimed the rifle was quite accurate... we shall see. I love the way it looks, had no idea it was so old, does not look it at all. I am very greatful for the instructions and the catalog. Great to have. When I was a young fellow in the 50s and 60s, my Grandfather had a bolt action Sears 22, tube fed... I could hit anything with that gun..... of course at that age I could hit anything with anything!!! LOL!

Have several 22 semi auto .... heck I just keep pulling the trigger ... can not control myself .... want to get better with the 22 and somewhat longer distances ... say 100 to even 200 yards ... hope the Mossberg.. AND I!!!! can do it.

Again thank very much for the great info. I paid $229 for the gun.

Jerry
    Melbourne, FL
  11. gdmoody

Hey GoBucks, welcome to The Forum.

EDIT: Deleted my comments except the welcome!
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
  12. GoBucks79

GoBucks79 New Member

Took it out yesterday and shot 50 yard fairly successfully, need to do some adjusting of the peep sight. but once I found where it was going I was able to a decent pattern at the 50 yard distance ... more like say a 4 or 5 inch pattern ... so I think I need work on consistency in my approach.... have a hard time really "seeing" the sights but I really like the ROUND one on the front. I was surprised how much more effective the peep was than the regular iron sight.

Had a very good time with it, I was shooting a bit faster than I hoped I would ... does not take all that long to run the bolt. Several people took a look at it and commented on having one like it years ago.

Again, thank for the material.

Jerry
  13. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I have the 46M(b)'s older brother, a 44B made between 1939 and 1941 from what Havlin's have told me. I have won some pot metal trophies in my younger days in service with it on the 50 ft. indoor 3 and 4 position matches. I have gotten it out again and having fun starting to trick it out. It has the original Mossberg rear peep sight with the Lyman front sight package. It also had the Lyman Field 428 4X, 3/4 in. target telescopic sight on it. Probably came with it. I bought it from a friend whose father had bought it new. Paid him $20 for it back in 1964. This past week I bought an Intensity Optics 6.5-24X by 44mm AO scope and a M22 side mount for it. Looking forward to getting it out this week end and zero it in and see what it will shoot at 50 yards. I have no doubt that with the right ammo I can get a 1/2 inch or smaller group. I'll try to get back and let you know how it does. All of these early Mossbergs were very accurate. But when I was a teenager, these same guns looked to funky. They just didn't have the appeal of the Winchester pumps, and the Marlin lever actions and the Remington automatics. Now, we see them for what they were... very accurate, inexpensive guns of their day that were - and are - ever bit as good as any of them. Just a little different.
  14. GoBucks79

GoBucks79 New Member

I agree it looks like the guns the monkey had in Planet of the apes but NOW, I love that strange look ... Wood stem to stern. Do not think I will put a scope on it. Not even cracy about bench shooting but would like to see what I can do with it standing at 100 and 200 yards. let me know how it goes ... I love shooting .... not must at anything living any more but I love to beat the tar out of paper!!! ; > ) Jerry
  15. GunHugger

I found a vintage Weaver V12 for my 46B.
    [​IMG]