Info on old 16ga shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rocketman1, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have an old shotgun that I inherited from my father, and there is not much to go on here.
    Single shot (Break Open)
    Barrel measures 28" Long
    Overall length 30" to 31" long
    On left side of barrel it says: "Proof Tested 16 GA"
    On right side of barrel it says: "1929 Model"
    Stock appears to be walnut w/Plastic Butt Plate
    On left side of hinge plate it says: "WORTHINGTON ----Special---"
    On right side of hinge plate there is a small engraving of a duck.
    There is no serial number or any other markings that I can find.
    Unable to post pictures at this time.

Just curious to know what it is and what it may be worth.

Thanks!
    Darrell
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Worthington was a trade name on shotguns made by Crescent Firearms Co., of Meriden and Norwich, CT. They were in business from the early 1890's to the 1930's. They made guns under their own name, but mainly produced what were called "trade guns"; any mail order company or hardware store could have guns made with any name they wanted with a minimum order of (at one time) as few as a dozen guns.

The guns marked Worthington were made for the George Worthington Company, a large hardware distributor in Cleveland, Ohio. They were in business from 1829 to 1991, when the company went bankrupt.

Crescent made guns were far from Parkers, but were serviceable and reasonably durable. Yours is well within the smokeless powder era and if in good condition should be shootable with the proper length shells.

Jim
  3. Rocketman1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response I appreciate it.

Cleveland makes since, concidering the gun is in central Ohio.

I don't intend on ever shooting this gun, and if I did I would most definitely have it checked out first. I would assume this would take 2-1/2" shells?

I know it would be difficult to put a value on it with out at least seeing pictures, but do you have a ball park estimate? I'm thinking about selling it, because its' just sitting around collecting dust, and I'm not into guns all that much. When I got the gun it had a small amount of surface rust on the barrel. I used some "0000" steel wool and a little gun oil, and it cleaned right off. The stock has some minor scratches, and everything looks to be in working order, so for a value lets assume it is in working order.

Thanks!
    Darrell
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There are a few collectors of old shotguns, and maybe that one would interest a collector in the area or someone interested in the history of Cleveland (a city museum?), but in general, those guns have little value, even in top shape with a lot of original finish. Like the old revolvers, many dealers won't buy them or take them in trade because they sell for so little and there is not enough profit to pay for the paperwork. Plus they can't give a warranty since parts are unavailable.

When they do turn up on a used gun rack, they usually bring around $75-150, depending on condition.

My suggestion is that you consider it an heirloom and keep it as a memento, but if you want to sell, try some local dealers and/or a gun show if there are any in your area.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. Rocketman1

Thanks Jim.

Thats just about what I expected.

Greatly appreciated.

Darrell