Info on reloading equipment

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Patriot1, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Patriot1

Patriot1 New Member

Okay, I'm a rookie at reloading....never saw the need until recently.
    Anyway, I just bought a Lee reloader kit. I like it, but I was just wondering whether RCBS dies or any others would work with the Lee press.

Thanks for any info or comments.
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Most modern dies for the same calibers have the same diameter and threads.
  3. Patriot1

Patriot1 New Member

Appreciate the info. I was looking for dies for 38 special/357 rounds.
    I may try the RCBS dies, if they fit..

Thanks again,
    Patriot1
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The Lee carbide dies will do the job every bit as well as RCBS and cost you less. Unless it's just an availability issue, I've never had any problems from Lee's carbide dies. In fact, Midway has the 4 die set available -
    Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 38 Special, 357 Magnum
    Product #: 309802

Its about $3 less than RCBS's carbide 3 die set.

I would say that for the money, it's hard to beat Lee's DIES. They've proven to me to be a good value. Presses are a long beaten dead horse story. just my .02
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. vulcrider

vulcrider New Member

I have the RCBS die set. I found that adjusting was much more difficult than my Lee dies. In fact, I replaced the lock rings with Lee rings and O-rings and purchased a Lee factory crimp die to complete the set. Paid way more for all than just getting the Lee dies in the first place! But, you live and learn, for the money it is hard to beat Lee.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

All my equipment is RCBS so I am admittedly bias toward them as I have had excellent luck with their equipment both new and used. Their dies will work and RCBS warranty coverage is excellent. Good luck and when you get into to it don't be afraid to ask questions. Also if you don't have a new up to date firearms manual then that should be your next investment. I started with the Speer manual but any from the bullet companies will do and they stress safe procedures which is theonly way to start.
  7. Patriot1

Patriot1 New Member

Thanks for all the input friends! I think I have enough to make a couple of choices now.
    Stick with Lee carbide...got it.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Patriot, you are learning quick. By the way, welcome to the forum.

I have Redding dies, RCBS dies, and Lee dies, they all perform the same job. Most of mine are Lee because of the price, in my opinion, the quality of Lee products are just as good as the others and you get more for you money.
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

My system is all Lee and I've never had any problems with any component.
  10. Patriot1

Patriot1 New Member

GD Moody, thanks for the welcome. I feel honored to be included in such a forum that includes good people from all over this great country. I appreciate all the information that you all supplied. I just need to get a good book on reloading now. Take care and may God Bless!
  11. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

If I had to pick one brand of pistol dies to use, it would be Hornady, but I don't even like all of their die types.

Any brand carbide sizing die will do fine.

Hornady seating dies have a sliding alignment sleeve, optional micrometer adjustment, and disassemble easily for cleaning without messing up the settings. They roll crimp really well too.

Redding or Lyman M-type expander dies work best in my experience. I don't care for Hornady expanders, because they are one piece, and hard to clean or polish. Lee expanders are often crudely finished, and need lots of attention.

I roll crimp while seating, but usually taper crimp separately. I've tried Hornady and Redding taper crimp dies, and noticed little difference between them. For bottleneck pistol cartridges, the Lee collet type FCD is absolutely great. But their carbide FCD for straight wall pistol cartridges has been less than useful for me.

And no matter what brand of die it is, it wears a Hornady, Forster, or the old, original RCBS cross-bolt lock ring. They are much more secure, and lock more squarely to the die body than set screw lock rings. Lee lock rings are practically worthless.

Andy
  12. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Patriot I have a set of the lee 38/357 dies and have reloaded over 10000 rounds with no problems what so ever. I have found all of my Lee equipment to be very satisfactory. I know we all have our favorites.Lee has just been an exceptional value to me.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lee equipment is, for the most part, sufficient enough to get the job done correctly. some of thier equipment is better than others. Thier dies are superb in value and in quality. I use Lee dies exclusively. Thier presses are ok, but a rockchucker or a lock n load is certainly better. Of the Lee presses the classic cast single stage and the cast turret are the best. BTW all modern die sets are 7/8 X 14 threads so they will fit all modern presses. I started out with a Lee anniversary kit almost 5 years ago. I now have an arsenal equipment from several different manufacturers. Lyman and RCBS make the best case prep tools, Lee has a hard to beat value on thier bullet molds and casting equipment and they are easier to use than most other brands IMO, Jeez, I could go on and on. Lee is an excellent start. You will quickly learn whats better as you learn more about the process and how things work... Be safe and have fun,;)...
  14. Room 101

Room 101 Former Guest

I bought my Lee Classic Cast Iron Press for $35.00 on sale at Midway about 4 years ago. The prices have skyrocketed since then. I have had no problems with this press and I use mostly Lee dies. I have some RCBS dies because I purchased them used on eBay when they didn't hate Americans that support the constitution.
  15. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have a Lee BreechLock press and the classic cast press and I like them both. I have Lee rifle and pistol dies and I also have some RCBS and Hornady dies. I haven't loaded any pistol ammo yet be the dies I have look good. The rifle dies I have both work well. My .30-06 die is from Lee and my .25-06 die is from RCBS. They both work well.
  16. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I don't have Lee dies. But I do have Hornady and RCBS dies. RCBS definitely stands by their name. I had a problem and called them to ask about it and they asked for my address to send me the new replacement part before I could even finish explaining what was wrong. I also had a minor problem with my Hornady dies and they rectified that quickly too. I do plan on getting Lee dies for my Dad's 30-40 when I actually get around to it. It seems to me that the simple stuff, Lee has down pat....Dies are dies. Especially the resizing dies. They all work the same way. The seating dies may differ, but even at that the critical differences are minor...