info on Shockleys gold

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Pops59, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Pops59

Pops59 New Member

The quetion that I have is what anyone thought about this powder after they have used it. I will be using it in a Pietta new model army with brass frame.
    thanks,
    Pops59
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have not used it myself but i have read some reviews about it,six people loved it and two said it was garbage.it seems the main complaint was not burning properly,given that i dont think i would use it in a pistol.a rifle yes,it has more time to burn.i would try tripple seven or real black powder. old semperfi
  3. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

I've got a couple of spare cylinders for my Uberti 1858 Rem..... but blackpowder gums up the works pretty good, I'm lucky if I can get 12 shots before the cylinder freezes up.

Triple 7 is a vast improvement - now I can go through all three cylinders without scrubbing the crud away.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Stay away from it. That stuff will leave so much residue it aint funny. We tried it in a 40 Cal pensylvania rifle and it was horrible to clean. I can imagine what it would do in a pistol
  5. Hunting Man

Hunting Man New Member

In my in-line muzzleloaders I'm using Black Horn powder. A bit on the higher side for cost but I think its the cleanest burning powder out there.
  6. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

Thanks for the tips. Up until now, I've bought Goex BP. I found that Triple Seven reduced fouling in my revolver (cleanup afterwards was about the same as with Goex), but Triple Seven didn't work well in a percussion Sharps.... seemed hard to ignite.

The Black Horn BP sounds like it's worth trying.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. Pops59

Pops59 New Member

Thanks for the replys on my question. The problem I have here is that unless you are in the stores the days that they receive their shipments, all the pyrodex and blackpowder dissapears from the shelves in 24 hours or less. because of how far I live from town it is a hassle even ordering it online.
    Pops59
  8. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

I've been reading some more about Blackhorn 209..... evidently, it has the highest ignition temperature of any BP substitute. It's probably a good choice for inline percussion rifles, but for those of us with more archaic designs (especially flintlocks), I'm afraid it won't do. Guess I'll have to stick with old-fashioned blackpowder for my smoke poles.

Pops59, I read some negative things about Shockleys Gold, but if that's all you can find, why not give it a try? It would probably fire OK in your revolver. The guys who complain about Shockleys Gold seem to be shooting rifles - they're looking for 2" groups at 50 yards - but for a revolver, shooting at tin cans and such, Shockleys Gold could do just fine.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  9. Pops59

Pops59 New Member

I tried it and it is working OK so far. Not getting quite as much smoke as BP, which I used to use in the T/C Sennica I used to hunt with. (still kicking myself in the butt for selling it) This Pietta is the first BP handgun that I have used. With it being brass framed instead of steel does anyone have any info on max powder loads to use in it? I have been using 25g of the shockleys.
  10. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

Pops59, I think we've been spelling it wrong. Supposed to be "Shockeys". Anyway, are you actually weighing the powder charges? According to what I read, Shockeys is equivalent to blackpowder on a VOLUME basis.... not on a weight basis.
    I can't find much info on the Internet, except that Shockeys has roughly 80% of the density of blackpowder..... so if you're actually weighing the powder charges, 20 grains of Shockeys should be equivalent to 25 grains of blackpowder.

My Lyman Blackpowder Handbook shows starting loads at 19 grains of FFFg with a round ball in .44 revolvers. Unless you have a particular reason for wanting to shoot hot loads, it might be a good idea to keep powder charges on the light side and your brass frame will last longer. Not really a "safety" issue, it's more of a "longevity" issue.

If you're actually weighing the powder charges, I would guess that 20 gr of Shockeys (equivalent to 25 gr FFFg BP) would be a good plinking load.
  11. Pops59

Pops59 New Member

oftig, You are right on the spelling. It says this powder is to be used on a volume to volume basis with BP so I have been using an adjustable powder measure that came with the revolver. thanks for the reply!
  12. ofitg

ofitg Active Member

OK, it sounds like the load you have been using is just about perfect.

Personally, I always used 30 grains of blackpowder (or an equivalent volume of Triple Seven) in my steel-framed Remington copy. I never saw any good reason to try loading it up to the max. I'm just shooting at inanimate targets, I'm not trying to kill anything..... of course, if I was standing there in the desert with the BP revolver in my hand and a jackrabbit took off running, the "lizard" part of my brain would probably take over :eek:

Have fun with it!
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010