1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

info please ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by kitty666, Dec 14, 2006.

1. kitty666

kitty666 New Member

hi, i know nothing about firearms but i found this gun at my grandparents house its made by harringtion & richardson arms company worcester mass usa it says pat oct 4 '87may 14th & aug6, 88april 2,95 ,april 7 (looks kike 1881), on the butt of the handle it has the # 81997, could you tell me anything about it?

thank you
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

kitty666,
    h&r used these five patent dates on their large frame 'auto-ejector' model (second model third variation) revolver between 1898 and 1904. calibers were 5 shot cylinder 38 S&W and 6 shot cylinder 32 S&W. the era 1898 to 1904 was h&r most profilic time for these revolvers with over 500,000 of this model/variation manufactured.

beside the serial number on the bottom of the butt there should also be a serial number on the bottom of the top strap (you will probably need to remove the cylinder to see this number). this is the location where H&R added a letter code to the serial number. this letter code will help identify the year of manufacture. without this letter code i can only date to the era 1898-1904.

all H&R revolvers manufactured before 1905 were manufactured for black powder cartridges pressures and are not safe with modern ammo. this is one, so do not fire this revolver with modern ammo.
    bill
  3. kitty666

kitty666 New Member

hi, thank you very much, i had no intentions of firing it, lol, besides that, the cylinder has been soldered shut, i was just interested cuz i love antiques of every kind , heck we even found an old sword , its nice , he came here from Russia to flee the war back in the day