Info Verification & Value?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by johnnyehlers, May 15, 2012.

1. johnnyehlers

johnnyehlers Member

Hi All,
    I need to Insure a couple Rifles and need opinions. Also curious if my research is correct, as I've noticed on here not all computer info is always correct.

1st is a Winchester 67 that my Grandpa bought new and gave to my Dad when he turned 13. Dad would have turned 13 in 1938, but I'm guessing it was bought earlier so Grandpa could teach Dad to shoot it first, as I also was taught to shoot it long before I turned 13. If memory serves right, Dad said it cost about 6 or 7 Dollars new. My research shows it was made between May 1934 & late 1935 because of the finger grooves. It will never be for sale but what value for Insurance would you all suggest?

2nd is a 1903-A3 that was bought through the NRA after my Uncle got back from Korea. My research shows it to be a 1942 Remington Ser. 4178xxx
    It was sportarized by Bishop's Gun Factory in Warsaw, Missouri in the early 1950's. Never be for sale either, but need value for Insurance? Any idea what the cost through the NRA might have been, or the cost to have one sportarized in early 1950? I wish I would have gotten the history from my Uncle before he passed, but thus is life.

I used to shoot dimes with the 67 at 50 yds when I was younger, and it still would if I could still see like I did back then. LOL

The 03-A3 hadn't been fired since the late 1980's but shot a 1&1/2 in. group at 100yds dead center, but about 2&1/2 in. high. I don't have a range
    close to shoot over 100yds, but anyone have an idea what range he might have zeroed at? I'm thinking maybe 300yds, does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance

Winchester 67      1.jpg

Winchester 67    2.jpg

M1903-A3    1.jpg

M1903-A3    2.jpg
  2. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

My 1903-A3 cost $14.50 in the 1960s. Wish I still had it.
    Three hundred yard zero sounds about right
  3. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Don't know about the Winchester. But the 03A3, having been sporterized is certainly worth more as a keepsake. The work done was probably relatively expensive but it usually kills any "collector" value. A nicely done one can bring $500+. If its done by a known Smith like R.F. Sedgley it could actually be worth more sporterized. I don't recognize the name you mentioned but I'm not an "expert" on Gunsmiths and their work's value. Looks nicely done.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Bishop was better known for making sporter stocks but IIRC they did have a shop that did sporterizing. Quality was not tops but it was quite good and, as would be expected, their stock work was excellent. Today, collectors abhor sporterizing, but at that time it was common (I did some) and a way of making a "piece of war surplus junk" (as one collector commented) into a useful and good looking hunting rifle.

Jim