info wanted on older .22lr Target rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Mar 11, 2012.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've always wanted an older .22 target rifle but I have not been able to find much info about them except we all know about the Anschutz,Rem mdl5 and Win52"s.What about Mossberg or Savage or other makes?Hopefully you guys can suggest some makes and models I should keep an eye out for that I can record in my notebook for reference.My budget of $100-$450 will likely make my list short.I was at a gun show yesterday and found 2 Mossbergs mdl 44 USD with old scopes and a Savage mdl19 NRA with Lyman style peep sights.Price was $300 on each one.My 2008 price guide shows the Savage in "good" cond. $150.00.Any suggestions of makes and models I should look for would be greatly appreciated.On the other hand some may say just buy a new CZ Varmint or other.Thats ok too. THANKS Joe
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have an old Revolation 100. I bought it new in a Western Auto Supply in1964. My 1st gun. It is made By Moosberg. I just saw the same gun at a gun shop and my son wanted to buy it. They wanted $190 for it. I think that is way to high.

My son wanted it as I can outshoot him with this and he has a new Savage bolt action Mark 3.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Are you looking for a rifle to be used for target competition, or hunting/plinking?

For hunting/plinking, the older Mossberg target rifles can be an outstanding value. They lack the fine walnut stocks and steel fixtures of the more costly guns, but they shoot great. With a good scope they are squirrel-killing machines. I would recommend a Mossberg.
  4. accident

Oneida Steve, Not for target competition,just hunting and target shooting for fun.I have several .22"s that are plenty accurate for regular use,but I'd like something capable of one ragged hole @50yds w/target ammo.Even though I'm not usually able to shoot the size of a dime,I'd like the gun to be able to.Doesn't make much sense does it? Thanks Joe
  5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

H&R 5200 I owned one way back when. Close in accuracy to my 52,40x or 37 but the trigger isn't in the same class. If you have a windfall blow your way, look for a Martini International MK II or III
    The 5200 is a twin to the Win 52C/D and more than $500 cheaper.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=87390
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Mossberg made the model 44us. That is one of he best shooting rifles I own. My dad has a fe that will hang right with his 513t and win 52.

Shul makes a great older target rifle.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  7. accident

Thanks guys for the info so far.I hope to get more.BulletBait thanks for the old thread I would not be aware of the H&R 5200 being a re-make of a mdl52 without your telling me.There are probably several makers out there that have made good copies of classic target .22's that I just don't know of.Thats why I need yalls help.cpttango30 says he owns a Mossy 44us like I found at the gun show and that its a good shooter.The 2 I found at the show were not in real good cond.They both were covered in dirt and appeared to not have even been wiped down in decades.The metal showed rust and the stocks were rough.Thats ok to me if the bore and action are ok but I feel the price was too high at $300.00.My price book is 4 yrs old but it gave a $150 value.Maybe my book is showing an unreasonably low price.Thanks for the help.It's given me a few models to keep an eye out for. Joe
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I will post some pics tonight. She wasa $35 CMP special.. She is very rough overall.

It doesn't have sights on it right now. When I shot it it took the sighs off nothr mossberg to test fire it.
  9. accident

Looking forward to the pics.I didn't mention it but both Mossy 44's had scopes.They looked original they were the same scope on each rifle not 1" tubes .The mounts screwed to the side of the reciever then curved around to the top so the scope was above the reciever not to the side.I'm wondering if a 1" newer type scope could be mounted in it? I might should have made him an offer of $250 and taken one home.Surely there are others out there to be had. Joe
  10. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

The trigger on the old 44US I had for a short time was the deal killer. I would assume the 144 is the same heavy military type trigger. They can be worked over to give a lighter crisp letoff. If you hit pawn or gun shops for an older target/trainer, carry with you some 22 snap caps or fired cases to check the trigger pull without chamber empty dry fire.
  11. accident

Good advise BulletBait.That suprises me about the trigger.Even my Romanian mdl 69 has an excellent trigger and it's not a target gun, just a military trainer as far as I know...just checked the pull on mdl69 it is set at 16oz. Was just curious.It's a little lighter than i'd prefer for safe using.A good trigger on a target rifle is critical.Thanks for the suggestion. Joe
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The 44 trigger is much better than the 513T trigger in mine.
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

14. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

A Stevens 15 series single shot .22 can be a heck of a shooter. Single shot rifles are generally more accurate because they flex less. If you really want a target gun I've seen Suhl 150's for $500. They are essentially an East German version of the Anschutz. They are hard to find especially at that price but I saw 2 of them for that amount just before Christmas 2 years ago. I really wanted to get one but I had already got my Christmas present which I bought from my brother almost unfired, a S&W 629 .44 mag. That's a great pistol but finding a deal like that on a Suhl may be a rare thing. I don't look all the time so I"m not sure. I just know I've seen them at that price and they are supposed to be world class shooters. In fact a guy I know won an ARA national championship with one.

Of course the old Remingtons are great rifles but they generally are priced higher than your budget. If you could find a 40X for that price it would be a steal. But they made other great shooting rifles too.
  15. accident

Thanks for the pictures and your time answering my questions.The 2 guns I saw at the show had a little better wood but not a whole lot better.(no offence intended).That is probably what I can expect to find given their history but thats ok if I find one complete and in good working order.The triggers I'll just have to evaluate if I find another.The guy did not seem to be too interested in letting me get a closer look, he didn't offer to remove the tie straps holding the bolt closed or offer to remove the cable going through each guns trigger gaurd.This turned me off.I do remember 2 threaded holes an inch or so apart on the left rear of the reciever like something was missing.After looking at your pics I notice the same empty holes on yours and realize now they are probably for a peep sight.One of your pics shows the trigger gaurd off.Do you have two or is it just removed in that photo?Didn't you say you shoot this gun and it is very accurate?You have much more knowledge of this gun than me so I'll ask you this: If I find one that is complete and appears to be in working order,in similar condition,what would be a price range I should try to get it for? THANKS again for the help and I apologize for rambling and so many questions.I will leave you alone now. Joe