info wanted on older .22lr Target rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Mar 11, 2012.

1. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

My husband has an OLD Stevens single-shot .22 that was given to him by an Uncle when he was young. It was one of those "catalog" guns, or a freebie gun when you bought furniture in the 50s. He won a turkey shoot with it over a dozen other adults with fancier rifles. You'd be surprized at how "simple" can be effective if it's built right..
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

That sounds like my old Stevens 15-A. That thing is as accurate as any rifle I own and it has been for 60 years now. They can be bought for under $50 at times. Usually they are more but I've heard of people finding them at auctions and flea markets for almost nothing. Mine has certainly taken more squirrels than any other rifle I own. My brother hunted with it for 15 years and loved it. The only thing bad about that model is there's no way to mount a scope. I suppose a person could have one drilled and tapped for not a lot of cash. I just know that it still works perfectly and probably will for the next 300 years. It only has about 3 moving parts counting the bolt. It's so simple there's nothing to break. Dad gave mine to me so I'll be keeping it until I give it to one of my kids. They don't live in places where they can shoot a lot right now but I did give my daughter the shotgun dad gave me.
  3. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

It probably is a 15-A.. you cock it by pulling back on the plunger at the rear of the bolt. I'm restoring it right now (needed a re-blue and a good stock refinishing).

cpttango30; go grab the sand paper and turn-to!
  4. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

I know it is late in the thread, but where i'm at in Texas, it seems that there are a lot of older Remington model 44T rifles. picked one up at a gun show a year ago that was in rough shape but had all of its parts. After "cleaning" & polishing the stock and metal, she looks as good as any one that is forty plus years old. I had planned on a full refinishing but decided against it.

she also can shoot a nice grouping out to 50yds with the original iron sights. I haven't tried out to 100 yet as my eyes are very poor for shooting without a scope & a comparitively large target that far out.

But basically what i am getting at is to go ahead and get what you can afford that will do what you want But, clean any beater looking rifle before commiting to a full refinish, you may just have a hidden jewel on your hands.

Just my $.02
  5. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

There were other 15's too including the 15 and the 15-B. They all worked like you described. It should be stamped on the barrel if it's a 15 model. Mine has some minor surface rust but it's looked that way for 30 years. I don't want to mess around and make mine worse but if it did get worse I'd certainly fix it. Hot bluing is the way to go IMO. Nothing else works as well or at least I've never seen anything else work as well.

That cocking mechanism is simplicity in action. Those guns are about as simple as any gun ever could be. That's why I think they'll be around for hundreds of years if people fight the rust off. I've been thinking about re-bluing mine just because but I'm afraid I might make it worse. I just want my kids to be able to keep it as long as I've had it and I've had it about 35 years. Heck a person could use a nail for a firing pin in this rifle if they had to. Not many rifles are made as solid today.
  6. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I'll be posting up the pictures as soon as I finish with the stock and reassemble. The cold blu went quite well. I had to because of surface rust. Bore was clean.
  7. accident

accident Active Member Supporting Member

The Stevens 15a yall are talking about sounds alot like the Win mdl 67 I own.It too has a cocking piece on the rear as many old s-shots did back then.It also has a split reciever so I can't mount a scope unless maybe a scout type above the reciever but I don't like that look.It's very accurate with the iron sights but I've always wondered how much better I could shoot it if it had a scope. Joe
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I've been looking for one of those Marlins for many years Shrek. If you know where I can find one I'd appreciate a heads up.
  10. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

The Remington Targetmasters are very nice, accurate, and affordable. I picked up a c. 1938 Model 41 for $100 and it is a tack driver--long and heavy barrel for a single shot. This model was only made for a couple years before being replaced by the Targetmaster 510 series.

One good thing about the single shots v. repeaters is that the barrels don't get "shot out" as quickly.
  11. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

+1 to buffalochip.
  12. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I mentioned it before but Remington made a bunch of really good shooting rifles at one time or another. The Targetmaster was certainly in that bunch. There are others too. It's too bad what's become of a once great American firearms company. I hope they get things straightened out before it's too late. Then again my 870 shotgun I bought a few years ago has been nothing but great.
  13. accident

accident Active Member Supporting Member

I have 3 pawn shops I visit off and on.In the past couple years I've been looking for a target .22, I have yet to find even one target rifle on their shelves.One guy said they sell within a few days of setting them out. I'll have to be there at the right time.To come across a Rem for $100.00 like Buffalochip did is unimaginable.I like the Marlins Big Shrek talked about.Thanks to all for the info.I'll keep looking, who knows what I'll find! Joe
  14. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Okay there Accident. Got the Stevens assembled and photographed.
    No serial number, nor model number on the stamping except that it is a
    ".22 short, long or long rifle" Is this a 15A? Whatever it is, it's looking better than it ever was! Not bad for a 60+ year old rifle. :cool: Now to go buy a butt plate for it.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  15. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

If that isn't a 15 series it's a twin of them. It's strange it doesn't have the model # though. It could be a youth rifle. They made some but I'm not exactly sure what they looked like. They were a lot like the 15's I hear except the barrels were shorter. Either way that rifle is a dead ringer for my 15-A except it looks a lot nicer. :)
  16. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

The Mossberg 144ls is an awesome rifle!:) Cliff
  17. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Thanks. Three weekends of work. I'm working on a Kessler 12 gauge also.

My husband says that it was around his family as long as he can remember, and he's 66. It's a youth rifle; it's small for even me, and i'm 5'1".

Eventually, I'll get to Mom's Remington SA22. It's probably just as old if not older.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  18. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Yeah I think that is the youth version if it's that small. Mine is clearly marked as a Model 15-A. I didn't know for sure if the other 15 series rifles were marked that way but the barrel on that rifle of yours looks shorter than mine. That doesn't mean it isn't a shooter of course. Savage made some excellent rifles back then and they make some now too.

Mine came from our neighbor who lived on the farm next to ours. He came to my grandmother's house for dinner every day of his life I guess. He always brought us stuff when I was a kid. I remember seeing the rifle I have in his house. It was his only rifle I think. It's the only one I ever saw. He left it to dad in his will and it was passed around the family for a while. I was too young to even shoot it when dad got it if that tells you anything. My brother used it for about 15 years and it was a very accurate rifle the whole time. It still is I guess. My brother moved out and didn't take the rifle so dad gave it to me when I was young and broke and couldn't afford my own firearms. He gave me that and a shotgun that came from my uncle through my other brother. It was also made in the early 50's. I wouldn't trade either of those guns for anything but I did give the shotgun to my daughter for HD at the house she lives in. It's a perfect gun for her. It's a 20 ga. Mossberg. I made her promise to give it to her kids someday.
  19. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

So have I...everytime I find one, I'm broke at the time...LOL

Seen quite a few popping up on GB and a few other auction sites...just bad timing...
  20. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I forgot all about the rifles Big Shrek mentioned they are beauties also.:) Cliff