1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Information about an iver johnson's 38 s&w model

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by chicho, Oct 19, 2007.

1. chicho

chicho New Member

Hi... im posting all the way from mexico and i am very interested in some questions about this gun that ended up in my hands...
    I can tell that Mr. B.Goforth knows about the subject... my handgun is a Iver Johnson's 5 shot .38 cal plated top braker... the serial number i can get is M 16537...

Hope you can tell me the model and the year of manufacturing it seems in a very very good shape... I also want to know if i can use it

thak you
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this revolver is a large frame second model 'safety automatic hammer revolver'. the second models were manufactured between 1896 and 1908. this revolver serial number M16537 was manufactured in 1904.

all second model safety automatic revolvers were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are not considered safe with modern smokeless powder ammo.

the second model safety automatic revolvers were the most popular of all the three models, first model 1894-1896, second model 1896-1908 and third model 1909-1941. they were in production for 14 years but accounted for about 60% of all safety automatic revolvers manufactured between 1894 and 1941.

bill