The Firearms Forum banner

Information from the experts please

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to relay.

I have one similar (almost exact) to this one (semi auto).

I have no idea what it is worth. I got it from a friend that needed some cash, I really did not want it at the time, but my friend didn't want a loan, so I ended up with it.

To cut to the chase, with what may be coming down from DC shortly, I now do have an interest. I have no idea what it is worth, or if I can or should insure it.

Now for the biggest questions. It is in my gun safe in Ca. (my sister lives in at my house there), ...... I live in Florida. I'm going for a visit and am thinking of bringing it back to Florida with me on the plane (as baggage).

The airlines shouldn't be a problem as I fly with firearms quite often and know the airlines policy, however, I don't know if the "Cops/TSA" at LAX will freak out when they see it in my gun case when I check in.

Would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
FYI, it appears that you have a non-compliant weapon according to California law. If so, it cannot be transferred from one person to another under any circumstances, which means you cannot legally own it. Years ago, just before the anti-assault type weapon law came into effect in California, those who owned such weapons could register them with the state for a fee of $20. These owners were then provided with a Department of Justice certificate which permitted them to retain these weapons. In effect, they were grandfathered in. However, these weapons could not be sold or given to another individual. However, a lawful owner could legally remove the weapon from the state by shipping it to an out of state FFL dealer. Since it is likely that it is an illegal weapon under California law, technically it has to be surrendered to a law enforcement agency. It appears that you would be violating the law if you were to be in California and took possession of this weapon. About the only other thing you can do is wait for the next weapon buy-back campaign and turn it in for $100, no questions asked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.