Information Needed

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mgosr, Jul 18, 2012.

1. mgosr

mgosr New Member

I recently purchased a New Model Blackhawk serial number 32-10932. I called Ruger and they could not date this without my $10 as it is not in their electronic database.
    Afterwards, I was cleaning the cylinder with a soft toothbrush and noticed 932D etched into the face of the cylinder.
    Anyone have any ideas as to the meaning of the etching or the real date of manufacture of this .357 Magnum?

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  2. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Are you sure about the serial number? 32-10932 seems to fall between 1973 & 1974 - Thats in between new & old model production?
  3. mgosr

mgosr New Member

After further research I discovered mine is one of the earliest of the New Model Blackhawks. It is likely to have been produced before the official release date so Ruger would have inventory. It is much like an auto manufacturer producing cars in August 2012 and releasing the model line in September, yet be able to state it is the 2013 model. I hope that is more clear than mud.
    What I still am trying to decode is the cylinder number etching. If it were a convertible model, which I suspect a real possibility, it should have only the last three digits etched, not stamped, onto the cylinder. Stamping seems to have distorted the throats of the cylinders. Mine not only has the last three digits of the serial number etched onto the cylinder, but those digits are definitely followed by the letter D. And, having been a machinist, I can tell for certain it was not added later.
    I am not saying I have a rare bird, but should it be, it should belong to someone who would appreciate that value. Any ideas?
  4. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Your best bet is to go to the rugerforum.com & ask there. Those guys are die hard ruger ;)
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Ruger electro pencils part of the serial number on the face of cylinders that come with convertible guns.
  6. mgosr

mgosr New Member

Hawg and any others,

Ruger etches or stamps the last three digits of the serial on convertible cylinders. But why did they add the letter D after the one for my .357 New Model Blackhawk?