Information on an Iver Johnson passed down to me

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dawg, Nov 14, 2011.

1. dawg

dawg New Member

I have an Iver Johnson hammerless revolver serial number D 60142.

This pistol originally belonged to my grandfather Chesley Thomas Boykin (15 Aug 1890 -1 Aug 1952). Chesley passed this pistol to his son, my father, Johnell Boykin (16 August 1938-22 Oct 2011). Upon his death on 22 October 2011, my father passed the pistol to me for safe keeping within the family.

Can anyone tell me the date it was made and any other information about this particular pistol. I would like as much info as I can get so that when I pass it down it's history will follow it.

It is a Top Break, 5 Shot .38 (I think) S&W Caliber Revolver with a Double Top Post Barrel Latch System and Coil Hammer Spring. The Serial Number is D 60142 and is found under the left hand grip, under the trigger guard and, when broken open, under the barrel near the latch.
    Thanks!!
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your third model .38 S&W Hammerless was made in 1913.

If mechanically correct, it is OK for use with current .38 S&W calliber ammo, which is not the same as .38 Special.