Information & Value of '39 A. Francotte 16 guage?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nemoore23, Jul 12, 2012.

1. nemoore23

nemoore23 New Member

What I was told was that my grandfather brought this home with him after ww2 as a war prize. It was handed down to my father and now it's mine. I did some research and believe I found out that it was made in 1939. I was just curious as to what model it was, the rarity, condition, and value. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

Best as I can tell, you have a Jubilee model 20, 25, or 30. This is a boxlock action with false sideplates. At 90% condition, the blue book puts it at $3000.00 to $5000.00.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

From reading the various markings, I would doubt that this shotgun was made before 1950 because it has 70 mm (not 65 mm) chambers. {The 16 gauge guns from Europe typically did not go from 65 mm to 70 mm until after WW II}

The B with * above it could be any of three inspectors from 1927 to 1978. The stylized Greek cursive date letter is likely the Latin equivalent of "n" for 1954.

The barells are marked as being made from what is called "Open Hearth" process for making steel in the USA; but "Siemens Martin" is the correct name of that process that was commonly used for gun barrel steel in Europe at the likely time of manufacture.

The barrel tubes are marked as being 17.2 and 17.1 mm bore diameter, and choked constricted 0.2 mm each which is about "IC" choke for both barrels, for hunting upland birds over pointing dogs.

As to value, judging by the engraving quality, this is not a high grade gun. Similar guns were being sold by major importers like Stoeger for about $144.00 to $160.00 in 1955; which would be about $1600.00 to to $1800.00 today. Looking at one of the major Internet gun auctions, I would imagine that your gun will fetch between $700 and 1400 today; depending on how badly someone wants it and what it is.

Hope this is of some help.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

War Prize, gosh, that sounds so much nicer than Looting. But , to the victor belongs the spoils.
  5. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

After further review, I have to say that hammerslagger is right. I went with what I found in the blue book. I looked at some Francottes on ********* and the engraving is much better on the models I listed. I did see one listed that is verymuch like yours except for the sideclips. No model # was given. The seller wants about $3000.00 for it but I believe that is too much.
  6. nemoore23

nemoore23 New Member

guys, thank you so much for all the information!! chances are, my grandfather just used it for skeet or hunting. i will probably just sell it to get my first hand gun. thanks again!