Ingots or bullets, which first?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Jan 21, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

I understand that I will have skim off the clips and the crude off the top of the molten lead.

Is it best to just melt it all down and form ingots first or just straight to casting bullets?

Just wondering which would be better in the long run.

Signed
    Green horn caster:D
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, if you don't clean the wheels weights first, then you just might as well go ahead and after you lube the bullets, roll them in sand first. Sure will make for no leading?

You have to clean the wheel weights of dirt and clips. For this you are going to need flux and a spoon. You have to make sure that when you flux the metal and the dross forms, you do not take out the tin, which will float.

Did you get the 50/50 bar solder? Did you buy the Lyman book?
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Here's a suggestion. Go to WallyWorld and buy a plastic dishpan. Put in a 1/4 cup of dishwash detergent and fill with hot water. Stir it up. Fill it with wheelweights and let them soak overnight.

In the morning, scoop the wheelweights out by the handful and rinse them in hot tapwater until they're all well rinsed. Spread them out on a couple of layers of paper towels and let them air dry.

When they're all nice and dry (I usually let them air dry overnight), melt them (be sure to flux & skim) and pour them into ingots.

That way, you get all of the messy stuff out of the way at once, and whenever you're ready to cast bullets, just heat up the ingots.

If you're using a furnace, when you finally get the temperature adjusted to where it casts well.....don't touch it! When you're done casting, just uplug it, and leave the temperature where it was.

I, personally, don't use 50/50 solder.....I just cast straight wheelweights.
  4. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Definitely ingots. Clean the crud out as inplanotx and xracer have said. Makes things a lot easier to measure and mix your ingredients, if you are adding anyhting to the wheel weights, and a whole lot cleaner come bullet time.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I add the 50/50 bar solder at a 1 to 10 ratio. It really hardens up the bullets. I have found that they decrease the leading when making real hot loads for my 45 Colt. I use a 300 gr gas check bullet. Will usually go straight through any animal. Even a pig!