Inherited Guns values

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pensacolaEd, Sep 6, 2006.

1. pensacolaEd

pensacolaEd New Member

Hello everybody,

I'm a new member whose Dad recently passed away, leaving me with his gun collection. I'm not going to sell them, just want to be aware of their value. Among the items are a few guns I'd like to determine the value for.

1) Smith and Wesson .308 Bolt action rifle, Serial Number 327150, Stamped "Sweden", nice walnut stock, nearly 100% condition.

2) Browning Take-Down .22, Grade 1, 95% condition with original Browning Tan leather "suitcase".

3) Browning Challenger II, .22 Pistol, USA Made, Serial Number 655PY03848, walnut grips with Browning emblem, original manuals, etc. 99% condition.

Thanks for your help.

Pensacola Ed
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Ed......welcome to TFF! :)

Based on your description of your S&W Rifle, I believe you have the Model A, made by Husqvarna in Sweden. The value, based on the Blue Book is:

98% - $330
    95% - $305
    90% - $275

On your .22 Browning rifle.....is a bolt action, lever action, auto, or pump? Need a lot more info.

On the Challenger II......Blue Book Value:

98% - $180
    95% - $170
  3. pensacolaEd

pensacolaEd New Member

Thanks for the reply. The .22 is an Auto, with the magazine that loads through the butt. I can'tfind a serial number on it, but remember that my Dad has had it since the 60's or early 70's.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I am embarassed to admit that I also own a Belgian made Browning take down .22 auto rifle, and I too, am totally unable to locate a serial number anywhere on the gun. This is not so good for someone who has been a gun collector for over 60 years! Being fairly modern, it surely has one somewhere. Does anyone on the forum know where it is?
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Forgot to mention that the Browning case may be worth nearly as much as the gun.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK.....I've found it. In The Standard Catalog of Firearms it's simply listed as the Browning .22 Caliber Semi-Auto. Take-down .22 Auto that has a tubular magazine that loads thru the butt.

Made by FN in Belgium from 1956 thru 1974, and by Miroku in Japan after 1976.

The FN made guns have a higher value, and I'm assuming that's what you have because before the Gun Control Act of 1968, serial numbers were not required. After '68 they were.

The SCOF values the FN-made, Grade 1 at:

NIB - $650
    Exc. - $475
    V.G. - $400
    Good - $325
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Pensocola
    All of Xracers prices are deadon
  8. pensacolaEd

pensacolaEd New Member

Thanks All.