Inherited some handguns....need information

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by WestPacSailor, May 2, 2012.

1. WestPacSailor

WestPacSailor New Member

I recently inherited three revolvers and I was looking for some information regarding age, value, etc.

First is an H&R Sportsman chambered for .22 LR. 6" barrel, walnut grips, functional but rough looking, with rust/pitting. Serial # is 38XXX.

Second is another .22 LR revolver, this time a very small "snubby".The barrel can't be more than 2". No manufacturer name but it's a model RG14 from RG Ind. of Miami, FL. (Ruger????) Serial # is 215XXX. It's in good shape, no rust or pitting. Needs to be cleaned. Grips appear to be plastic of the shiny, bakelite type.

Third, and final, is a very nice S&W Model 10 in .38 Special, still in the original blue box with the enclosed literature. In very nice condition, just needs a good cleaning. Wood grips, looks like a traditional police/military issue piece. Serial # is 6D98XXX. (There is a different number and a "MOD. 10-7 stamped on the frame, hidden by the ejector rod when the cylinder is closed.) Hasn't been fired in a while, but it did function correctly as recently as 2004.

I'm interested in any information anyone might have on these pistols.

Thank you in advance to everyone.
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

RG is the name of the manufacturer of the second gun. It was a German company that made very cheap revolvers for export to the United States. When a Federal law was passed in 1968 that kept such guns out, a US company was set up that nominally manufactured the guns here. I forget when they went out of business, but it was at least 20 years ago, I think.

The RG-14 model that you have achieved notoriety because John Hinckley used one to shoot President Reagan (and his press secretary James Brady, subsequently a gun-control activist) in 1981. Hinckley's had about a 3-inch barrel, I think. Cash value is low, in the $100 ballpark, but I don't know enough to be more specific.

Photos would be needed to tell you more about your Sportsman, but you have come to exactly the right place to learn more about it.

The S&W Model 10 should be worth a respectable amount. I see gun stores asking startling prices - like $400 - for new ones nowadays. I don't know what they actually get for them, but they feel free to start out there, anyways. That is their value as shooters. I can't place a date on yours, but I don't think it is old enough to have collector value.

All the above is just my $.02, and I hope people who know better or think different will chime in.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

hey west can u post pictures
  4. WestPacSailor

WestPacSailor New Member

Yes, I can. I'll take some and upload them. Thank you.
  5. WestPacSailor

WestPacSailor New Member

OK, here's where I stand.

The RG14 is, as Lanrezac stated, pretty much a junk gun. The guy at the gun store said I could double the value by simply loading it! I guess it's the Yugo of handguns, eh? I'll probably just dispose of it. I certainly don't trust it enough to let my kids shoot it.

The Model 10 .38 Special is a very nice revolver. I'm gonna hang on to that one as it's fun to shoot and, since I have all of the original paperwork and the box, it might someday be worth a few $.

I posted to the H&R Sportsman 22 LR thread on this forum, so I'll look there for new posts.

Thanks to everyone for the information.
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

All good decisions, WestPacSailor. All I would say is that while the Model 10 is a fine gun, most everyone who shot one much got replacement grips for it - the factory wood is very durable but not very well shaped for shooting.

Many people like Pachmayr's rubber-like grips; I put some old Herrett brand wooden grips on my S&W Model 15, which had the same factory wood as yours. Anything that is made for a Smith & Wesson K-frame square butt should fit your gun. Once again, just my opinion.

PS - Your gun can handle any 38 Special ammunition, including "+P" loads, with no problem. The Model 10 was the standard 38 Special revolver, so no factory made anything it can't handle (IMO).
    Last edited: May 3, 2012