1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Inherited this S&W...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by mtds, Dec 20, 2007.

1. mtds

mtds New Member

I am brand new here and asking for information about a revolver I inherited from my grandfather.

[​IMG]

My experience with firearms is pretty limited, although I did get familiar with the M-14 as a tech-pogue jarhead stationed in Twentynine Palms in the late sixties.
    I'd like to know what this revolver is, how old it is, its value (just curious), and if it is safe to fire it using modern .38 S&W cartridges. My local gunshop actually stocks the cartridges, which surprised me. Here are some close-up pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading. My apologies if the pictures are too large or if I'm posting in the wrong place!
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

according to 'flayderman's guide to american antique firearms' this is a fifth model S&W Safety Hammerless manufactured between 1907 and 1940. flayderman states there were about 41500 of the fifth model manufactured. the final word on any S&W revolver is the S&W historian Roy Jenks. he has the records. with a serial number and these pictures he most likely can give you a year of manufacture or you can buy his book and look it up for yourself.

if in good shooting condition this revolver would not have any problems with modeern ammo.
    bill
  3. mtds

mtds New Member

Thank you for the reply, Mr. Goforth. nt.

nt.