Inherited Winchester 62

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by teej, Sep 20, 2010.

1. teej

teej New Member

Howdy,

This was my father's childhood rifle, used for varmint hunting in upstate PA in the late '40s. I think the rifle was manufactured in 1947.

I'd never part with it, but I'd still like to have an idea of its value and any interesting production history. I might get it insured. Was even considering using it on the range.

Yep, that's the original box, taped and tied.

Please see the pics for details about markings, serial, etc.

Thanks for any feedback.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That rifle was made in 1947, along with 35,329 others; total production was some 409,000 between 1932 and 1958.

There is collector interest in any Winchester, but there were so many of those made that they bring serious money only if like-new in the box. That rifle has been well used, and probably gave your father many moments of pleasure, but it shows the use. In dollar terms, it would sell, retail, for around $300. As a memento of your father, it is priceless.

I don't know the terms of your insurance policy, but generally a few guns of moderate value are considered part of your personal property and covered automatically. Whether to pay an extra premium for that gun would be your decision.

Jim
  3. teej

teej New Member

Thanks very much, Jim! The value is definitely more sentimental.

Would you say its ok for me to take it to the range then?
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I'll bet that box alone would bring at least $200!
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

By all means, take that rifle to the range. I will bet that it is a hoot to shoot!! Clean it first and lube it with a gun oil; when you are shooting, try the standard velocity ammo and not the hi speed supersonic stuff. I see no reason to use the high speed stuff in a bolt or pump action.