Inherited WW2 Japanese Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Aimeriffic, Sep 28, 2012.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Rjay here are a few links to show you the error of thy ways.....

http://www.trailblazersww2.org/history_woodenbullets.htm

http://suite101.com/article/wooden-bullets-used-in-peace-and-war-a141786

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?ForumID=30&ID=25176

some hardwoods are very dense and after being carved were fire hardened. these were the bullets used by Japaneese Island snipers. once fire hardened the wood was able to withstand a greater velocity. My father said some of these snipers easily got within 100 to 150 ft (not yards) they really did not expect to survive the shot, but were trying to kill high ranking officers. if you doubt the ability of a sniper to get that close, just go to any Army or better yet Marine base and dare any sniper to hit you with a paintball without being seen at under 100 ft! you will have seveal nice bruses to remind you of the experience!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There was a common belief among GIs in the PTO that the Japanese, always thought capable of any dirty tricks, loaded their ammunition with wooden bullets so that when Americans were shot, the bullet could not be detected by X-ray and the American would die of gangrene. No one seemed to consider that a wooden bullet would have short range, poor accuracy and little power.

While there is no doubt about the cruelty of some Japanese officers and soldiers, and the war crimes committed by them, the "wooden bullet" story is not true. The Japanese (also Germans, Swedes, and other countries) used hollow wooden bullets as training blanks, and the Japanese also used them as grenade launcher blanks. Since part of the powder charge filled the hollow in the wood bullet and ignited, the bullet simply blew to powder even before it left the barrel.

But Americans who captured some of that ammunition had no idea what it was for (U.S. grenade launcher blanks used a crimped case mouth) and invented the "wooden bullet" story.

There were other common myths about the Japanese, some believed even by Americans who faced them. One that seems to be true, or at least could have been true, is that Japanese 7.7 ammunition could be loaded and fired in U.S. rifles and that the Japanese clip would even work in the M1903 Springfield. Having heard that from what I considered a reliable source, I tried it. Sure enough, the clip worked, the 7.7 rounds (Norma) fed perfectly and fired without even any serious signs of high pressure. The necks are short, but otherwise the fired cases look normal.

Edited to add: I just read the post by Hunter and can only say that the sources cited are examples of the way a story builds, with a kernel of truth and a lot of inventiveness, from "I heard" to "Joe said" to "I was there" to "I was shot with..." The usual progress of the rumor and myth. FWIW, the use of blanks for executions was common with both the Germans and the Russians. The powder charge does the job at close range, and there is no need to worry about danger to anyone except the poor victim.

Jim
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

While I greatly respect you Jim, I must say this..I really do not believe my Father LIED to me! He had the scars and the medical reports to prove he had been shot with a wooden bullet..TWICE! so for you to so blatently state that this is not TRUE? I take offense!! now if you wish to state that in ypour opinion, you find it hard to believe..I could accept that. but not what and how you have stated it.

and remember I read the medical reports when I was 14 yrs old.I do not think that 2 diffrent doctors, on 2 separate occasions would lie in a report for a simple soldier. AND I HAVE NEVER FOUND MY FATHER EVER TO HAVE LIED OR EMBELLISHED THE CIRCUMSTANCES ON ANY OF HIS LIFE EXPERIENCES!
    He was a decorated officer for the Ocean View Police Dept. A decorated U.S. Marshal and also ran a detective agency proving security for many businesses including the Amusement Part in Ocean View.

UNFOURTUNATLY I was overseas when he died and I recieved almost none of his property. I was suppose to get all his militaty items, including his records from the Army, Police and Marshals. by the time I was able to return all I got was 2 firearms ( his 38 service revolver and the japanese rifle he was shot with the second time) the person who was suppose to make sure I got all his property ended up spending 15 yrs in jail for desposing of it. then I got my oppertunaty to square accounts with that thief. NUFF SAID!
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I think both of you are missing the obvious.

BOTH situations can be TRUE. they do not HAVE to be mutually explusive.

for instance.. we KNOW wood bullets existed. there is a plausible use for them.. IE.. grenade launchine.. so a field trooper IS likely to have some.

Now.. we also have a report of someone's father being wounded by a wooden bullet. for now lets take that as fact also.

where does that leave us?

consider this.

you are a jap service man.. and are OUT of ammo. the yanks have landed and advancing on your position. darn.. no grenades left either... but hey.. i've got these not so cool wood bullets.

about that time a yank patrol walk by your position .. you are hid in the thicket, but 'close enough'

you pop one off and well.. wood fragments hit a gi..

seems plausible to me.... no?

if someone is attacking me and I have rubber bullets.. i shoot them with rubber bullets.

if someone is attacking me and I have target low power rounds, I shoot them with target rounds.

if someone is attacking me and I have frangible range ammo, I shoot them with frangible ammo.

if someone is attacking me and I have birdshot.. I shoot them with birdshot.

if someone is attacking me and I have wood bullets.. I shoot them with wood bullets.

eh?
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Back to the rifle itself.... The markings put it as a Nagoya arsenal 4th series and right at the tail end of that series. (The serials for the 4th series ran from 10,000 to 99,999) Nagoya started making Type 99 in 1939 and ran through about a dozen series by 1945. (Each series had app. 99,999 each.)

As for the ammo you pictured, it's shooting stuff and reloadable. (post war commercial).

Personally, I put the story of the wooden sniper bullets in the same category as the "poison bullets" used by the Spanish during the Sp. Am. War. (Turns out it was just verdigris forming on the brass plated bullets on the 11mm Spanish Reformado used in their rolling blocks.)