1. Bob James

Bob James New Member

-Now what do I do?
    I inherited my grandfather's hand gun, a Hopkins & Allen X.L. Double Action, 5-shot revolver, 32 caliber.
    I really have no idea what it's worth, BUT, I did get my permit, and have had it cleaned, magnafluxed, and test fired.
    With any luck I'll be able to find an ammo supplier in the Rochester NY area, and be able to target shoot a little with it.
    I'd be interested in knowing it's approximate value.
    (Smile) I received two things from old Gramps... this well used pistol and his pristine Bible, both from the later 19th or early 20th century.
    I'd be interested in any information.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. shooter666

shooter666 New Member

3. Bob James

Bob James New Member

Hopkins & Allen X.L. Double Action
    circa 1920 (?)

Attached Files:

4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Welcome to the Forum Bob James!
    What a wonderful firearm! Appears to be in good condition, too, AND it has a familial connection, to boot!
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am not an H&A expert but this XL double action looks like one of the later model manufactured after 1900 (1900 to 1917). the earlier one 1880s to 1899 used a different cylinder pin and retainer. this one is missing the cylinder pin retainer entirely but the single small pin hole on front of frame is the way the late models had the retainers attached. a picture of the top strap marking may or may not confirm my guesses. this revolver as all H&A revolvers should be treated as black powder only. do not fire modern ammo in them.
    bill
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. Bob James

Bob James New Member

Thank you for the input. At least two local gun shops have told me the same thing, that this should be a black powder gun only.
    The cylinder retainer pin is in place. It's difficult to see in the photos, but it is a small spring-loaded tab immediately under the pin at the body. Wear on the cylinder stops would give me pause to fire this weapon at all. The cylinder holes do not necessarily align accurately with the barrell of the gun. No need to shave the bullets as they enter the barrell. Thanks again for the input.