Inquiring minds need to know

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Mar 10, 2009.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

With all the stuff that our country is going through and the way it looks like we COULD be headed I have a few unanswered Question.
    #1; What is the shelf life of most medications like
    Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Cholesterol, simple antibiotics
    #2; Is it legal, at present, to buy these with out a prescription
    #3; Where can large quantities be bought wholesale
    #4; would a year or maybe two years be enough, some disasters last much longer

Skywarrior, on another forum, ask about how to store gasoline LONG TERM and that got me to thinking (ouch my head hurts). I am more incline to get me a mule and a two wheel cart.
    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is a good idea but stocking up may be a better idea.
    With all the nut cases in the world and I mean on both sides the fear of any one of them pushing the RED BUTTON is a real possibility.

[​IMG]
  2. lb969

lb969 New Member

#1: Depends on the year of manufacturer and the drug itself. Most companies only run drugs in batches a few times a year, then reconfigure for a different product. In any case, outside of the sealed stock bottle, the expiration is 1 year from when they leave the pharmacy. Some last less, especially antibiotics like Amoxicillin which are sensitive to sunlight. Liquid antibiotics are shelf stable in powdered form but only effective to 10 days once reconstituted.

#2: No, it is not. Not in the US anyways. I would not trust any site that says otherwise. Which makes the following questions moot, but I'll answer em anyways for anyone curious.

#3: Wholesale distributors. But they can not sell to anyone other than a registered pharmacy. My pharmacy uses Cardinal health as a secondary distributor, asides from the chains own distribution system.

#4. Probably not. Problem is that you don't know what you'll need.

Self treating is dangerous since you lack the medical knowledge to know what to use to treat what. Some infections are resistant to regular amoxicillin, you'd need augmentin instead or a different antibiotic.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Most of the medications one gets from a pharmacy usually have printed instructions saying, "use by...." usually within a year or less. Anyone who's life depends on medications or medical help will be in trouble deep without a doctor's attention, no matter how many guns and how much ammo they have. I'd probably last 2 months at best, if I'm catching your drift. But don't let me stop you. TJ
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I guess I better start stocking up on metamucil then. :rolleyes:
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

ROFL :D
  6. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

It ALWAYS comes down to that with men, doesn't it??? LOL....

*waiting for the gas jokes...*
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

What's wrong 4evr...haven't you ever heard of "a well regulated militia?"