Installation direction for "friction ring" on Browning A-5

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Mar 18, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have a Browning A-5 - 20 gauge on which when I disassembled it, the BEVEL on the friction ring (which was installed on the receiver end of the magazine tube) was facing away from the receiver.

I am wondering if the last person who assembled the shotgun put this in backwards !!!

The instructions in an old Browning booklet which was from an old Browning A-5 - 12 gauge which I no longer have, says that if the friction rings is installed on the receiver end of the spring (i.e. in the lower powered shell position) that the BEVEL is supposed to face (go towards) the receiver and NOT away from the receiver.

The above also agrees with other info that I found by Googling.

Are there any cases on the A-5 on which the BEVEL of the friction ring is supposed to face away from the receiver instead of towards it ?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

This should help:)
    Mike

Attached Files:

• a-5.png
      a-5.png
      File size:
      956.3 KB
      Views:
  4. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Thanks for the replies.

BUT are there any exceptions to this as far as the proper direction that the friction rings is to be installed ???

And here is the reason that I ask.

When I put the ring in as described in the given links (i.e. with the BEVELED side to the receiver and the FLAT side to the spring) and then when I put the barrel and forearm back on the shotgun, there is a very minor amount of the shiny/silver unfinished part of the back of the barrel showing in front of / from underneath the receiver and also there is a very small gap between the back of the forearm and the front of the receiver. And also, the magazine end cap does not turn to the same place that it was when I first broke-down the shotgun, it is about a quarter of a turn short of where it was.

If I take the barrel and forearm back off of the gun and instead install the friction ring in the opposite direction (i.e. with the BEVEL toward the spring), then when I put the barrel and forearm back onto the gun, then the shiny/silver part of the back of the barrel is NOT showing in front of / from underneath the receiver and also the magazine end cap turns about a quarter of a turn further than it did with the friction ring installed the direction that is given in the Browning manual.

I am going to call Browning later today when they open but thought you'all might have some thoughts on this.

Thanks.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Sure got me thinking now shooter.
    I'd look on mine, but have it totally disassembled. I know when I fisrt got mine,
    I had the same question or thought when i broke it down for the first time.
    I believe the beveled side goes towards the reciever, flat side towards spring.
    Without putting it back together, I can't say and sorry for a lack of info.
  6. Zane71464

...be right back with a pic.
  7. Zane71464

Here it is,

Attached Files:

8. Zane71464

The pic above is off a Rem with Brownings pats. and is the 12ga. semi..
  9. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I just talked to a tech at Browning and he said that it is NOT critical as to what direction this friction ring is oriented.

I hope he know what he is talking about !!!

I am going to leave it like it was when I took the gun apart, i.e. with the BEVEL towards the spring, FLAT side towards the receiver. Apparently when installed in this direction it is letting the forearm go a little further down towards the receiver. I am wondering if perhaps the forearm might be just a bit out of specs. - too long.

Thanks.
  10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

The reply that I gave IS the way the gun was made to fit.If you are putting the barrel on with the action open the barrel will go in all the way to seat. changing the rings will not effect the "fit" of the barrel just the amount of force it takes to cycle the action.
    Mike
  11. Zane71464

It may not be "critical" but on mine, the lug end will not lock down properly without the friction ring being in the right way.
    As I stated above, I had the same issue with mine the first time I broke it
    down, and it only locks locks down properly one way.
  12. Zane71464

Good point Mike.

After the assembly, when you "hand-cycle" the action... if it's in properly
    you'll be able to tell. If it isnt, you should be able to tell right from the
    start.
  13. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Goofy:

Yes, I am putting the barrel and forearm on the gun while the action/bolt is in the open position.

Just to make sure, you are understanding that I am talking about what direction the friction ring is placed on the magazine tube NOT WHERE it is placed on the tube, i.e. at the low power position near the receiver as opposed to the high power position in the front of the spring near the end of the forearm ?

P.S. - I just went back and turned the friction ring to the direction that is given in Browning manual and this time the barrel and forearm seemed to go to the proper positioning, i.e. no barrel showing beyond the receiver and back of forearm flush with front of receiver.

I believe that the problem is that the forearm is just so tight fitting on the receiver grooves that you just have to put an good bit of force to get it fully seated onto the receiver.

Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  14. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Glade to hear it worked out! I just want to say (in case you don't know this)the double friction ring slots need to be lined up.
    I have had them come into the shop with the ring slot not lined up and the rings in the front, back,together and apart.
    I was always told " It shoots great" It just needs to be cleaned.
    So I am not sure how critical this is but the gun was designed to work and cycle with the rings a certain way so that is how i put them.And if they are not the right way I am sure something will break down the road from too much pressure or too little pressure.
    As for the forearm being tight I can't say I never ran into that.
    Maybe some swelling due to moisture?
    It would not take much to make it real tight.
    Mike
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Mike:

Yeah, that is the one of the first things I noticed when I disassembled the gun was the slots on the forward friction device were NOT lined up. So, I lined them up the very first thing.

What would be the possible consequences of these slots not being properly aligned ?

Thanks.