Insurance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

So I need a condo policy, so shopping around (currently also pay auto through my parents and want to put that on my own plan)

Seems like out of the big four State Farm has the best reviews, but is the most archaic and obnoxious (cannot get any information until I speak with an agent tomorrow).

Anyone have recommendations? Mostly looking at State Farm, Progressive, All State, and Geico. All State is currently looking to be the best deal as far as auto, $364 a year. Progressive I like as my motorcycle is already through them, and they were SO helpful on the phone, the condo would be $217 a year which has pretty good insurance, including assessment insurance of $15k!

Been on hold with Allstate for a while now. State Farm is likely to lose simply because I NEED the condo insurance tomorrow (I am sure technically I could cancel the plan and get a new one) and with the storms and HAVING to talk to an agent, likely the agent won't be in tomorrow!
  2. geds

geds New Member

Travellers has done well for me and my family. No hassle claim and very reasonable rates.
  3. geds

geds New Member

Did you finally work things out with the unit you were trying to get - or is this another one?
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I like my Independant Agent to shop for the best policies for me with house/car etc.

Just to look for numbers in all kinds of things try the one my banker uses:

http://www.bankrate.com/
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Still moving forward, need to have an insurance plan set up to finalize loan.
  6. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Find an insurance broker. They will be able to do all the research for you and come up with the best rates for what you want. Bundling (home, auto, boat, motorcycle, etc) works sometimes to get a lower rate and sometimes it doesn't.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

met life
  8. geds

geds New Member

Also consider AAA
  9. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I'm with State Farm for everything, home, auto, life etc. They have always treated me fair. I have had two major claims with them on my home two years apart, and thought they would raise my rates, but they didn't. First was a hailstorm in 2006 that was a $12,000 claim, for siding, roof, gutters, shed, fence and more. The second one was in 2008, when the house got hit by lightning, and destroyed every electronic device and appliance that we owned, including, furnace, frig, oven, micro wave, a/c, computer, stereo, clocks, you name it, if it was plugged in it got fried. They were quick to settle on both claims, I could not have been happier.
  10. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

If you're ex-military you can't beat USAA in my experience.
  11. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

I use progressive online for my cars/campers and it's about 20% cheaper than using an agent for the same company. I spent 18 years in the car/bike biz and never had issues with progressive from the side of seeing them pay for issues.

for homeowners I shopped a few years ago when rates jumped for everyone and all were about the same price. I'm with a local agent and erie. I know of 2 folks whose houses burned to the ground 2 weeks ago, both total losses (son of one of my employees, electrical fire at 2 am, and a friend and coworker of my wifes, gasleak in the basement at 7 pm). You MUST have good insurance and a good, local agent. In a condo you're more at the mercy of others than you are in your own home so make sure you're covered if something happens in your building and you get water or smoked out.

The coworker is being put into a rented house for up to a year while the tear down and rebuild his house - and he has to buy EVERYTHING all over again - he got out with the shirt on his back and his phone. Everhything else is gone including his car and motorcycle in the garage. He's completely overwhelmed with all he has to go and buy - clothing, furntiture, appliances, dishes, towels, tv, computer, software...while still going to work and taking care of his elderly mother - and of course working on plans for a new house!
  12. bobg`12

bobg`12 New Member

I would have to agree with BETH. Met Life.
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Thank you everyone. I stuck with State Farm for the condo insurance, it was quite affordable surprisingly. Despite my frustration over HAVING to talk to MY agent for pricing and such, I do really like the fact that there has been ONE guy I have talked to since I was 16. Also, when I had my not-at-fault accident they were great to deal with.

Car insurance however will go up a bit when I am on my own plan, however, unlike others it should drop significantly when I turn 25 in March.

Though I am bummed they do not offer ANY discount to pay up front, many offer like $60 discounts to pay 6 months at a time instead of month-to-month.

Car insurance is up in February so will take the comments above into consideration and may shop around still.

THANKS!
  14. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Been with State Farm since my first car. Been a while. They cover everything I own that's worth insuring.

Been in Jacksonville since 92, just two agents in all that time. I like having the ability to talk to an agent in person, as well as knowing his secretary.

They're no different than others when it comes to over insuring something. That's all you need to keep a eye on.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

Correct, for all insurance needs! I couldn't believe the prices some of my family members pay for insurance.