Interested in a 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by LurpyGeek, Sep 11, 2006.

1. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I posted a little while back mentioning that I'm interested in getting a pistol in .45 ACP and was kinda wandering back and forth between a 1911 and an XD. I was able to get my hands on both this weekend and while I think the XD is a fine weapon and I like the pricetag, I think I'm leaning toward the 1911 for several reasons.

The first and main reason that I like the 1911 is size. I have larger than average hands, but I tend to like more midsize guns and if I were to carry (which I would like to eventually) I can't imagine carrying most of the handguns I see out there. They can be very bulky. I'm 6' 6" 200 lbs. which sounds large but I'm really skinny. The slimness and simplicity of the 1911 is definitely a plus.

I'd also probably like a 3" - 4" barrel for compactness. All steel is a big plus in my mind and stainless would be preferred, but not essential.

Now my main problem with the 1911 is... the pricetag! They can be so expensive! I don't really understand why the price can be so high (though popularity is a big part of it).

I know there aren't any specific questions in this post, I just thought it might help my mental processes if I could "talk" them out and see what anyone else has to say. Any comments? Is there something else I should be looking for or anything I'm missing?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Have you checked out Springfields 1911 they aren't that high.
  3. Country101

Country101 Active Member

The first thing I'll tell you is not to think about the price tag too much when getting a carry gun. You can definately get a decent gun cheaper, but you get what you pay for, most times. I'm not saying go get the most expensive gun you can find, but you're paying for the reliability and function, and accuracy of the gun. My top pick of 1911's is of course Wilson Combat, but your looking at 2k. My second would be a Kimber. I think either of these are top notch. I've been looking at getting the Kimber TLE or even just thier Custom II. I wouldn't hesitate to carry either of these, if I didn't already have my Gold Combat Stainless
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Having owned a variety of 1911's over 50+ years, I think that's a very wise firearms choice.

If I were in the market for one today, I think I'd opt for either a Kimber or Springfield.....they're both top quality, and the prices are reasonable.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products.shtml

Sure, there are cheaper ones out there, but you get what you pay for. If you get a cheaper one, but by the time you get it just right for you......trigger job, polish the feedramp, enlarge the ejection port, add on adjustable sights, and add on all the little "do-dads" you think you need later.....you'd probably be up to the price of a Kimber or SA anyway.....both of which come with most of that stuff out-of-the-box.

Of the two, I prefer the Kimber by a small margin......they both shoot equally well, they're both well made and reliable, but I give the Kimber slightly higher marks on fit and finish.
  5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

A 4" or even 3" barrel will have increased report, correct? Will the recoil increase as well? Is it significant in .45 ACP? I can deal with high recoil okay, but I like to take my wife shooting and she's not much of a fan of heavier kicking guns.
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

I've been carrying a Kimber ProCDP for several years now. The 4" barrel does make for a bit of increased recoil, and noise. Not so much (in my opinion) as to turn me away from them. I had a 23 yr old female in my last handgun class that had never shot before, and she shot baseball sized groups at 25 feet with everything I brought, including my Kimber. She was about 5'4", and maybe 120 pounds. The CDP versions have a checkered front strap, and I feel like that helps counter any increase in recoil from the 4.25" barrel. I've probably put 5000 rounds through my CDP, and it hasn't balked at anything I've fed it.
  7. southernshooter

If you buy a Kimber and your ladie don't like the kick just buy a .17HMR conversion
  8. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Okay, I've done a little looking and got a bit of a better idea what I want. The places around here don't have what I'm looking for so... does anyone know a good place to buy new firearms online?
  9. southernshooter

10. ironsight65

ironsight65 New Member

Try BrandX.com. It is an auction site but there
    is usually a good deal to be found somewhere.
  11. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

There is actually an Impact Guns a ways away from where I live and that is where I've done some of my research. I felt like their prices were a lot higher than other places I've seen online, but maybe I'll have to look again.
  12. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Okay, next question:
    (Maybe when I finally actually make a purchase I'll be able to write a book called "Every question you could possibly ask when considering a new 1911.")

I had been planning on getting stainless, but now I'm not so sure. I have been a fan of stainless in the past for several reasons (corrosion resistant of course, hardness, look, etc.). I've heard others say that stainless wont hold it's accuracy? Is this true? I'm not looking to shoot in any competitions, but of course I want an accurate weapon. A blued finish is cheaper and can get dirty without looking so dirty.

Your thoughts? I really appreciate the knowledge that people are willing to share in these forums.
  13. Jay

Jay New Member

stainless/blued is completely personal preference. Properly cared for, either one will last longer than most of us. Blued firearms may require a bit more care, but that's not been an issue for me over the last 45 years of shooting. I enjoy taking care of all my firearms.
  14. southernshooter

Down from where I am from Stainless last longer due to very very very salty air
  15. stash247

stash247 New Member

Lurpy, if you are patient, and shop, you can buy a Colt Officer's Model, all stainless, for well less than $600, maybe as cheap as $400-450, at gun shows anywhere I've been, lately!
    To your other question, while recoil is marginally higher, in such a pistol, over a standard 5" Govt Model, in the short guns, the 'character' of the recoil is different; they have a noticeably reduced 'cycle time', so recoil seems 'sharper'.
    My personal carry gun is such a pistol, with about 35K, on the clock, and the only issue that comes to mind is mags, and mag springs; as this is a shorter 'cycle time' pistol, insure that the mags it sees are first rate, with fresh springs, in the interest of reliability.