Interested in a 1911...

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Nolaphoto1, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Nolaphoto1

Nolaphoto1 New Member

I'm sure I am opening Pandora's Box here, but I will ask anyway. :) I am interested in getting a 1911. It has been the gun I've wanted for years but have never bought. I always talked myself out of one...."ohhh it's crazy to spend that kind of money on something you don't really need." "Get the 9mm because it's more affordable to shoot." "The .45 is going to be punishing to shoot." You name it and I've found a way to talk myself out of it.

So, here's my question. IS there any one manufacturer that clearly outranks another when it comes to the 1911? My list of requirements include a 5" match barrel, decent trigger, adjustable sights, and enlarged ejection port. My list of desired (but not required) features include beveled mag well and picatinny rail. Finish is not an issue.

So, is their any one manufacturer that clearly pulls ahead of the rest? Kimber? Springfield Armory? I'm not looking for a $2000 gun but I would be willing to venture into the $1300-1400 neighborhood.
  2. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Personally, I would look for a Springfield or a (Kahr) Auto Ordnance. Please no-one take offense, but IMO you are paying for the name on a Colt. If I had a triple digit yearly income I would probably buy a Colt or a Kimber with all the bells and whistles, but on a reality basis I myself stay with the clones.
  3. parputt

parputt New Member

Based on your requirements and price limit I would suggest looking at a Springfield loaded.
  4. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

If you want the best gun for the amount you are willing to spend, I would take a serious look at the Dan Wesson Valor. You will not be sorry, and you will almost always get most of you $ back when you sell it... the only thing you will not get is the rail... I thought I wanted one too... but after serious consideration... makes little sense... holsters are a problem... adds weight, bulk, etc. If for the purpose of laser sights.. get the CT grips.... if for lighting, flip the light switch. I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions... which is good. Hope you throw the "Valor" into the mix.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Well if you want a 1911 that can do this stuff, I would say get a Colt Gold Cup. Yes, you are paying for the name, but the Gold Cup is a good competition shooter. Otherwise if you want something that nice, get an H&K USP .45. They are a very high quality gun, but they are also in the price range that you posted. And you can't go wrong with a Springfield either. I would personally avoid Kimber. Lots of friends that have had Kimber had rust on their barrels when they got them. I would stick by a Colt.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. SiGfever

SiGfever New Member

The Dan Wesson "Valor" is a really nice pistol that will serve you well. Grab one before they go up in price.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Respectivly, how many friends is it that have had rusty kimbers?
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I was wondering the same thing.
  9. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Springfiled loaded' now if you trade guns then i would go with a kimber. Myself I dont trade or sell' once I get them they are mine.
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One of my favorites.

Attached Files:

11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Three or four. They were expensive guns too. I believe they were able to send them in and get them fixed though. I would agree that Kimber is a quality gun, just saying, for a gun that costs that much, I would be a little upset over rust on the barrel. Even my RIA, which costed $500 had zero rust or defects on it.
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

SWEEET!!!! Tell me a little bit about the gun? How much did it cost?
  13. TheGunClinger

14. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Siggy.... right on! you know your guns. Now if the sky were the limit.... there are some pretty nice makers out there... Nighthawk, Wilson, on and on. Problem I have with most of the current production stuff... and it's just me... to many MIM parts in the new stuff... including S & W, Colt, and especially Kimber.
  15. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Buy a para ordanance and you will have money left over to up grade.
  16. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

the picture of springfield is that .45
  17. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

Looks like a 9... to me! LOL
  18. TheGunClinger