Interested in getting a 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Finaddict, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

After asking some questions about hand guns it was obviuos that the 1911 was the gun to have. Anyway, I've been looking at several 1911's and found that the prices seem to be pretty equal among the different manufactures. Some a little higher and some a little lower but pretty much close to the same. Does Colt still make the 1911? I really coldn't find that answer. If I can't find a Colt I'm thinking about getting one of the Kimber or Springfield models. Since I'm on some what of a budget I would probably elect to go with a middle of the road model. Those higher end models get kinda pricey! :eek: Any suggestions or information is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Kimber is going to have excellent quality and service. Personally, that's what I would choose. I love the one I have and have formed a strong bias from it. The Springfield would be a decent gun. I wouldn't have any trouble recommending them for plinking and general playing around. For a carry gun or something that needs a little more dependability or accuracy, Kimber all the way unless you want to get a Wilson Combat. The Wilson will definately be out of your price range. As for a model to look at, try looking at Kimber's TLE.
    I believe Colt makes the 1911, but I dont even look at colts myself, so I cant give you any information.
  3. azsigman

azsigman New Member

I have a Kimber ProCarryll and I love it. When I was looking around, our local gun shop told me that he stopped carrying Colt because, in his opinion, Colt quality has slipped alot and you pay an excessive price for them.
    He carries Kimber, Springfield and the occasional LLama. I opted for Kimber and have never been sorry. Good luck and enjoy the hunt and the agony of choosing. :)
  4. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

My carry piece is a Kimber Compact Stainless II. You can see it, along with a deck of Bicycle Black Tigers and a box of Cor-Bon +P, in my avatar to the left.
  5. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like it's gonna be a Kimber. Man! You are so right about the agony of choosing. :D Now I gotta find some sucker to buy my p.o.c. S&W Sigma 40. At least that will help a little bit! ;)

Thanks,
    Steve
  6. BigV

BigV New Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  7. ShakyJake

ShakyJake New Member

Kimber kimber kimber no shi--.

The basic military Springfield and auto ordinance both make good pistols for a hell of a lot less money.

My personal is a "Loaded" Springfield with the back converted back to a standard "safe" hammer, mainspring housing and standard safeties.

My next purchase will be Norinco or auto ordinance.

I will probably never own a Kimber, because believe them overpriced.

This is my modifed toward "standard" GI Springfield:

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      12.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

There are a lot of good guns out there.
    Why does it have to be a 1911?
  9. Finaddict

Finaddict New Member

I don't guess it has to be but that's just what I'm interested in. It just looks like a sweet handling and shooting gun. Ya never know...once I get through working all this freaking overtime and finally make it to a couple of shops I might chnage my mind after handling a few guns. I'm always open for suggestions. I just wanna get rid of my p.o.c. S&W Sigma and find something that fits my hand well, is well balanced, accurate, packs a punch and most of all dependable. Everytime I go to the range with my p.o.c. I get frustrated because I can't do anything with it. The trigger is so freaking hard and I don't like the grip. The trigger is so hard that I can't help but pull to the left every shot. I think it has like 7# pull. :eek:
  10. Nortranman

Nortranman New Member

Hey Fin' that trigger pull reminds me of my old Llama IX-C. I just replaced it with a Ruger P-90 and for the amount I spent I am really happy with the new piece. Take a look at it anyhow.
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

That is the important part.
    Getting something that FITS......YOU.

Just didn’t want to see you hopping on the bandwagon, just because someone else liked “whatever” it is. Look at the different features for each gun. Fit and function (of course) external safeties, sights, (if you want--can you add accessories--rail?) etc. Find what you want for your application, plinking, self defense, competition, etc. then get the best you can. Once you find something that “fits” you, then you can ask others about the reliability of it. Let us know. Good luck.
  12. SavageEMT

SavageEMT New Member

Mmmmm Kimber. :D Any opinions on the Custom II?

I got a new rifle for valentines day, and I'm thinking about returning the favor...
  13. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Savage...
    Love it, Love it, Love it, Love it, Love it,...

You should get one...

Attached Files:

14. SavageEMT

SavageEMT New Member

So... shiiiiny!!!

*salivates*

(Did I mention that Kansas just got Concealed Carry?)
    ((Booh-yah!))

:D
  15. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Mostly, that's just my sparkling personality...lol

If you are going CCW, here's another option:

Especially if you like the bling...

Attached Files: