Interesting Discovery

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Brass Tacks, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

20 + years ago I inherited my father in laws Government 1911 plus his stash of ammo. The ammo was put away in a closet and forgotten untill recently. The ammo included a box of NORMA hollow points. NORMA hasn't made pistol ammo for several years. Also several boxes of Olin Mathieson, also known as WRA (Winchester Repeating Arms) and WCC (Winchester Cartridge Company, noted on the box and headstamp. Headstamps indicate date of manufacture are 64, 68, and 69. These are FMJ GI, in military issue boxes.

Last week I took a few of mags of NORMA to an indoor range just to see how the function in my Kimber and Wilson. On the 3rd shot I saw sparks down range where the round skipped off the concrete floor. Sure enough, a magnet detected a steel core. These hollow points are of the old design with a ring of exposed lead surrounding the cavity. The range owner frowns on steel cored projectiles.

Today I loaded my mags with WRA 68 rounds and went to the same range. I'll be damned!! Sparks flying again. Sure enough, the magnet does not lie, steel cores. As soon as I got home I checked all the boxes and found all the 68s are steel but the 64s and 69s are not.

I would have never thought US military ammo would have been steel core in 1968.

This is the Norma. The lead is only the ring around the cavity.

[​IMG]
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

box here sold for $144 at auction to a collector

just the box , no ammo ( good cond)

seems someone thinks the boxes are rare and collectable

great find!!
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice find ! Would you mind posting some pics of the boxes please?
  4. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

here ya go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

very cool, I would have not guessed that the military had much HP ammo in the inventory then! nice find.

I've got some WWII stuff from my wife's grandfather, 101st airborne vet, need to go look at the dates on 'em again.

Wish I could've brought some home from OIF, we had a connex packed full of post WWII .45 ball ammo that we shot tons of for fun. No HP ammo though in that stash. It all shot perfect (in very old Colts too).
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It is rather odd, 27 years in the military and I never saw a "issue" hollow point
  7. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

the HP rounds were not in the brown boxes. Norma ammo is manufactured in Norway. all the brown boxes are FMJ. sorry for the confusion
  8. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

Very cool find! It is impressive to see older items compared to new. I like the simplicity of the box.