The Firearms Forum banner

Interesting knives made from warships. No clue on the price.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Charles_Daly 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I doubt he's using gears etc tho. But mild steel can be heat treated into a good knife blade. Pretty simple knife design. Just about any moderately handy person could make a similar looking knife. But he's apparently got the market cornered on the steel source.

#5 ·
If one were using high carbon steel from a battleship, then they would say so. Even if it were high carbon steel, there would be no way-short of expensive laboratory testing-to tell what type it is. Therefore, proper heat treatment can not be done.

"Steel from a battleship" sounds like generic, low carbon steel, which-regardless of heat treating, will not make a decent knife.

#6 ·
Looks like those blades do contain steel from the Texas but they aren't 100% steel from the Texas.

The blades are random pattern damascus steel and the billets were made using steels salvaged from the ships in question and they also contain modern steels of known metallurgy.

So no, he isn't just using a piece of old hull plating and grinding it into something that looks like a blade but can't hold an edge.

#7 ·
Looks like those blades do contain steel from the Texas but they aren't 100% steel from the Texas.

The blades are random pattern damascus steel and the billets were made using steels salvaged from the ships in question and they also contain modern steels of known metallurgy.

So no, he isn't just using a piece of old hull plating and grinding it into something that looks like a blade but can't hold an edge.
Exactly. It said the blades were FORGED using USS Texas steel. So did anyone catch how much one costs? They are interesting, but I wouldn't pay a whole lot for one myself.

#11 ·
I found it after searching on the net for more information, but if you look closely at some of the pictures on the link you can see the blades are pattern welded Damascus.

Sorry Fatstrat, I couldn't find any pricing information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.