Interstate transport of venison

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by henry0reilly, Dec 4, 2004.

1. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

I live in Indiana and I have won a hunting trip to Georgia over Christmas vacation. Are there laws concerning interstate transportation of venison I should be aware of?

Also, any suggestions on the practical angle would be appreciated, too. The best plan I can think of so far is to take several coolers and freeze the meat.
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

Your plan will work. It's just exactly what I"m gonna do the first week of January, in Tennessee. Transportation of venison is not a problem as long as there's no intent to sell it.
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

See if they can "Hard Freeze" the meat for you. That's when they freez it to 20 below zero. Some procssors do it as part of their service. It'll last for several days with a few pounds of dry ice in a cooler.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

As long as you have it tagged you should be fine. You might look in the Game and Fish Commision's booklet or website to find how you might have to mark the packages of meat.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

If cut and wrapped, most states consider the meat to have reached it's point of final disposition; tags no longer required.
  6. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Having returned from pheasant hunting in South Dakota in October, we followed the state of S.D.'s regulations....left a foot on so the spur could be seen, and had them frozen and put them on dry ice. Also a COPY of our licenses was taped to the coolers so that if stopped, anyone could ascertain whose birds they were, and that they were legal.

In the case of venison, as previously stated, if it is already butchered and wrapped, I doubt if you would have a problem. Just keep a copy of your Georgia license with you, just in case.

John
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I was thinking the same thing...Say I came and visited you and you gave me a deer that you had processed (you know...cause ya like me so darn much) How could a Trooper/Game Warden be expected to ask for tags, ect?

I know, but it really does happen quite often.

Crpdeth
  8. bard

bard New Member

No one mention the antlers. If you are transporting your venison that has been processed and packaged by a meathouse, you should have no problem. However, if you have antlers, be sure to keep the tag attached until you get safely home. Most game wardens or LEOs frown upon carrying around antlers without tags. There are some states that even forbid the gathering of sheds.......and will shoot you on sight if you do. :eek:
  9. BobbyWins

BobbyWins New Member

Around here,(Texas)the processors give you a reciept(they keep the tag) when antlers are involved.Just be sure to have it handy in case you get checked.

BW