Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by redscho, Aug 1, 2012.

1. redscho

redscho New Member

While my Florida CCW is currently valid in 35 States I will be traveling in a couple where it is not. NY and Md are a couple.

United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 § 926A
    Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Will this be honored if I am stopped and am in compliance with above? Anyone with any experience in this area?
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Not being a wise azz, but who really knows!!! Was in L.A. California driving around and had ahand gun on me. Was in personal car with KY tags. Was pulled over and ask WTH i was in that neighborhood for. Said I got lost which was the truth. Officer ask if I had a gun, I did not lie so I said yes, he said GOOD, and to follow him OUT of that neighborhood. On the other end was pulled over on I-68 in MD and had a truck load of ammo plus a dozen guns heading up into PA to a shoot. A K-9 unit was what pulled me over and the dog hit on teh bed of the truck. Was ask if I had drugs OR firearms to which I said I did have firearms in the bed of the truck. I was then treated like a drug runner. Showed them my FFLs and told them the guns were locked up with no ammo in the locked cases with all in the rear of the truck under the bed cover. (bed even locked as well). Was at the raod side 2 hours as 10 officers pulled every gun out and counted my ammo. I ask for a sargent in charge after the first hour who arived after yet another hour, showed him my FFLs as I had the other 10 officers, and after being read the riot act was allowed to go on my way after I reloaded my guns and ammo back into my truck. Most of the 10 regular troopers wanted to arrest me for gun running but thankfully the sargent knew that as a FFL holder I can transport as many as I like as llong as I obey the state law which I was. I even concidered filing a suit against the state of MD but that meant I would have to be in that POS state again which I will never be unless it is an extreme reason. Now while in PA, was told about some sites in NY close by but refused to go due to my one other experience with the state of NY and flying THROUGH it with a CHECKED firearm in my checked in baggage. They pulled my luggage and held me while the inspected the firearm even though I was waiting on a connecting flight and my checked baggage where the firearm was was NEVER in my possession in NY.

Bottom line is there are states I refuse to even visit due to their wild azz laws and LEOs who think they are above the law. NY, NJ, IL, MD, and southern CA for the most part. I also do not travel through the city of Cincinnatti unless I have to, I skirt it on I-275 for the same reasons. They actually tried to enforce a ban on transporting handguns through Cininnitti OH and it was stricken down in state court.

Good luck but make sure you know the law, have a copy of it with you, and know of or have an attorney in that state just in case IMHO when it comes to MD and NY as well as a couple of other states if transporting a gun through them.
  3. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on it. I am not a LEO, so that is my two cents. The govt does not honor the constitution.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can only offer information on Cook County Illinois. Don't try it. Chicago forget it. Cop's here think they are the only one that should have guns. A few weeks ago the arrested 2 Indiana cop's that were here on business for carrying their issue guns.

I the rest of the state you won't have a problem...
  5. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I travel and work in both states. MD you can follow Federal transport guidelines and you are Ok, even if you stop. Do not take the gun out though. In NY you are Ok if you are traveling through the state, but once you stop for the night you are breaking the law. One recent trip turned into a 12 hour day simply to not be illegal. It sucks but that is the way it is.
  6. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but if you are carrying a gun in a recreational vehicle such as a travel-trailer or 5th-wheel being towed by a car or truck, is it treated like a home or a motor vehicle? Would the gun need to be cased, unloaded and locked or can it be loaded and in a drawer like in a home? I travel north from FL. every yr. to states like IL. and WI. who do not have reciprical agreements with FL. I keep the gun unloaded, cased and locked in a gun case or locked in a bolted in gun safe under the bed. I would rather keep it loaded and stored in a drawer or under the mattress if it was legal.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I wonder why Wisconsin doesn't honor the Florida permit. We honor 25 states resident permits as of Nov. 2011.

Why Florida isn't recognized? Probably cause Florida don't recognize Wisconsin.

I think it's total crap. This is one country. If you have a valid permit in one state, it should be valid in all 50. Like a drivers' license.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012