Intriguing observations today about female shooters at the range. Feedback needed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remington597, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

First off, I had a blast. (pun intended), second, I noticed something very interesting. There are alot more female shooters than there used to be. I saw young daughters plinking with dads, I saw wives and girlfriends with their men having fun, I also saw female law enforcement/military (you can just tell!!).
    When I used to go to ranges in the 80's and 90's, you were lucky to see a woman once or twice a year, now its about 20% or more!. Its great, because now more of the populace can stand with us against global tyrrany and for the 2nd ammendment.

Secondary observations made.

1. Female shooters are more methodical and patient. It is a proven fact that female biochemistry in the brain is prone to more patience, while the male brain is more eye hand coordinated due to our primal genetic makeup going back hundreds of thousands of years., but my point is that women spend more time acquiring the target and are more patient, (there are exceptions, I am generalizing based on aggregate observations). Many men are more interested in the "bang", (again, many exceptions.).

2. Men love lead , period. I love all guns. I noticed that women are extraordinarily selective about firearms. While men go sometimes for sheer size, women tend to go for more ergonomics and aesthetics. ie, Many women don't like revolvers, but love semiauto small hand guns. I also noticed that many women love .22 rimfire, like my Remington 597, and the Marlins. It seems that bolt action and heavy assault rifles are not the female choice as a whole.

3. I heard a woman tell her husband/boyfriend that he should have gotten better ammo for their Makarov 9mm. She was giving him the third degree. Now, why can't I get a wife like that? I would enjoy pleasing her every minute.;)
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Remy, I think your observations are pretty much on target. (sorry, bad pun :p )

We women, as a whole, are not into the macho, bigger-is-better thing. We have smaller hands and less upper-body strength, so we're pickier about what we shoot. Marlin has a 44mag revolver that I have shot, but I'm uncomfortable with it simply because the grip is so big I can't get my hand around it. My 38spl revolver is easier to shoot, not because of the smaller caliber, but simply because it fits my hand better.

I've not noticed a bias against revolvers; I'll have to try to watch for that and see what I find. Personally, I have nothing against revolvers, but I do admit that my current favorite handgun is Marlin's Browning Hi Power. And I do enjoy plinking with my Glenfield 22.

As for being more methodical and patient, I think that's true. I've heard shooting instructors say that women make better pupils because we don't have the macho thing going, we pay attention better and are more focused.

Just my .02.
  3. Remington597

SouthernMoss:
    Your input is very valuable and insightful, thanks for sharing it.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

And women just wanna be held.......
    :D :D :p :p

mike

dang yarn....i'm gonna catch it one of these days.... :D
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh yeah?.... My exwife sure was !!! :rolleyes:

mike
  6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Seriously though......

I have seen a 12 year old girl shoot a 44 mag better than some men......

Some men are such woosies that if you watch them shoot something like the 44mag and up, they almost try to let go of the pistol when shooting....
    There is no reason a 454 casull should rise up enough for the barrel to smack a person in the forhead !!!!!!

You see them aim, and shoot....the first thing that happens in slow mo...is they take the second hand off of the pistol, and dang near try to let go of it with the remaining hand...AND I also think they "exadurate" the recoil....meaning that the shot started the barrel upwards, and in their minds since they are afraid of the gun, their minds make their arms continue to keep raising the barrel until its completely vertical and dang near up to their forhead.......and then you watch a little girl do it properly...it just makes me ashamed for the wussie man who cant handle it properly !!!!! :mad:

mike
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Two stories:

We were out at the range, sighting in the deer rifles one Saturday. We were listening to a couple of fairly large men on the next position complaining about how their rifles kicked so hard. My elder sister, at the time 13 years old and about 70lbs, stepped up to the bench and fired 5 rounds with the 30-06, and shut them up right pronto.

FirstInLine and I used to shoot at an informal range in SoCal. One day, a fellow showed up with his Casull and some handloads with racing stripes on the cases. Thinking to get a snicker, he offered it to FirstInLine. Everybody stopped laughing after she emptied the cylinder, ringing the 25 yard bell on each round, turned around and asked for a reload.

Pops
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Pops.....What in the sam heck are you doing up at 1:30 in the AM ??!!! :D

Yep....some girls can be a surprise...that is for sure.
    SoMo was saying something about women not having as much upper body strength, but i just don't think that matters.
    I have seen some 1911's that had really stiff springs that might be hard for a woman to rack the slide, but even that can bo overcome by technique. Someone pointed out that if ya hold the slide in place with one hand and push the bottom receiver half forward instead, that will compensate for a grip deficiency on the slide..........
    Thats what I've heard anyway.....

Back when i used to go to an indoor range there were alot of women that had 45's...and were quite comfordable with them.....

mike
  9. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

its not strenth ,it is how you hold it and let the recoil pass through your body

people don't believe me at first but shooting a 12 gauge with one hand is much better than on your shoulder ,its how you use the recoil ,don't fight it
  10. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

GN, Pops is two hours behind us, so it's only 11:30 where he is. ;)

The way you describe working the slide is what Massad Ayoob recommends, and not just for women:

The Israeli method has also been called “the slingshot technique” because it mimics the movements you would use to operate a slingshot. The gun arm stays locked, pointing the handgun at the target or backstop, while the free hand grasps the slide with the thumb forward. Pushing forward with the gun hand while pulling back with the support hand—digging in your rear heel on the strong hand side and driving your body weight forward, as if delivering a hard punch—makes this technique actually stronger than the American style. My little girls were able to work full size Colt .45 automatics with this technique when they were eight-years-old. Perhaps more important, the body mechanics of the Israeli technique keep the muzzle downrange in a safe direction during the entire operation.
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

That technique is particularly useful when bringing an empty gun up from rest. With practice you'd be surprised how quick you can draw, slingshot, and assume a weaver stance.

I did it for a while with a SIG since I had difficulty mastering the DA/SA transition. Went to a class once and was told I had to shoot from a lowered hammer with a round in the chamber. Shooting that way through the whole class convinced me to go back to 1911's.
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Watched "Windtalkers" last night. Was too busy remembering to sleep, afterwards.

Pops
  13. Remington597

Windtalkers was excellent, thanks for the great feedback on this issue, its appreciated.
  14. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Welcome to my world.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  15. kaylan1

kaylan1 New Member

Does this mean I'm in touch with my femine side when I concentrate on the task at hand?:p :p :p
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2004