investments ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by oscarmayer, Dec 8, 2010.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i'm not sure this post is in the right place but here it is anyway. do any of you buy guns as "investments" . i have a few sitting in my safe i bought years ago but i didn't buy them to make money off them some day i bought them because i liked them and planned on growing my collection. but as the prices continue to go up it's hard not to want to sell off a few. as an example years ago when century arms was selling surplus sig p210's for the price of 300.00 shipped and now the same gun fetches 1000.00 to 1400.00 and having 2 of them i felt the need or should i say desire to sell one off. anyone else feel the same with the prices climbing , sell and enjoy the profit or hang on to them ????
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

depends on what it is. personally i dont buy for investment. but i think it would be a good investment over a 10 or 20 year period. i wouldnt have a gun i wouldnt/couldnt shoot so i only buy guns i want to shoot. i would definitely sell off a duplicate unless i shot both.

i think the better investment would be reloading supplies or ammo. since ammo prices aren't going to get any cheaper i suspect.

1000 worth of ammo 10 years ago would dwarf 1000 worth now. if i had the money i'd buy ever box i could get and every component i could get. just so later on i wouldnt have to pay way more.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Short answer is yes.

The trick is to know which makes/models to buy. Too many people think that ALL guns will hold their value and that simply is not true. Currently made guns are just like cars - as soon as they are out of the showroom they begin to depreciate.

Also, too many people believe that 'old' = 'collectable.' Not necessarily true, as in the case of a bajillion Belgian hardware-store shotguns sitting in closets everywhere.
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i would hate when some kid brought in his fathers, uncles aunts etc... old antique firearm to see if they;ve hit the "lotto" and i'd look over their iver johnson top break with 50 % of the finish missing and have to tell them it's worth 75 bucks. so i know old doesn't mean it's worth much. i personally collect colt revolvers both double action and a few saa's and with the exception of a 2.5 inch barreled diamondback i don't shoot them any more and the value has gone through the roof on most of them compared to what i gave for them years ago, so as i get older the collection aspect doesn't do it for me any more so i thought it might be time to let a few go. but i'm on the fence , i know my kids would just get rid of them after i pass anyway so shouldn't i enjoy the profits ????
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

That's a very personal decision, but for me the answer would be 'yes.'
  6. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

like any investing you need to get an edumacation on the medium you are investing in. ie, it is common knowledge that the stock market can be a good place to invest. but you need a certain level of knowledge about it to be effective.

It may take a few years but watch what guns sell for now. find and research old price guides and compare with what they fetch now. Common sense helps too, If it is quality made odd caliber, short run, unique finish etc.

another tip is always buy the best condition you can afford. in investment grade, mint in box is the king. as time goes on there are just fewer and fewer mint examples of old collectable fire arms.

be price consience. Reasearch what that firearm is trading for and try to buy an example as close to wholesale as you can. the cheaper you can get it the easier it will be to make a profit down the road.

my Rule of thumb is I won't buy it unless I know I could get all my money back right then at the time I bought it. That limits your oppertunities. I seldom buy at a shop, unless they get a used one in that is under valued.

guns are like cars, There is on some of them, a time when they bottom out. they go from new price to used and keep going down until they reach a point where they are considered a collectable. In cadillacs that is about $3,000 for a cherry example. you can't get them much cheaper and then they start going up as a collector car.
  7. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

it sound wierd but if you research and go to every gun shop in your area and absorb info from auction sites you will get to the point where you can see a gun evaluate it and be comfortable in making an educated buy without looking it up or asking advice.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I would most certainly say what i have and readied over the years count as investment , especialy come SHTF times
  9. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Investment guns??

I see them as being in three caregories.

#1 are the ones being churned at very high $ on auction sites like RIA, Butterfield, Julia and Martin.)

#2 are the ones I used to own, but sold or traded off years ago.:eek:

and #3 are what I tell my wife my current guns are.....:D:D:D
  10. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Oscar: If your kids are not "gun people" sell the guns and send your kids a post card from Rome. And while you are there, should you run into Rosita, tell her I still carry her photo.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  11. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Ditto on what Contenderizer said. And, if you DO see Rosarita, tell her I like her sister better anyway.
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id sell and buy some new toys. or a trip to shooters world in arizona or... a trip to hunt me a grizzly bear
  13. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

all sound advice.... my one daughter is into guns and has already laid a claim in for a few of the old mans pieces when he kicks off. i have another daughter that has no interest but her hubby does but i wouldn't leave him a potato gun. i have been known to sell off a few at a time to finance another "project" the latest one being a semi-auto BAR. which is due in shortly. so keep a eye on the WTS thread a few nice guns are going on the market....
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

usually I buy a firearm to use/shoot and if I cant "use" it I feel it's a waste of space, however, I do have several that are doing just that and have been getting rid of a few as of late. As far as buying as for an investment...I try to buy quality/name brands when I do buy a firearm and I do look at it as an investment..ie., finding a good Smith and Wesson revolver at a GOOD price and one that's been taken care of well. Spend a few $'s getting it and take care of it...another "however" many years, you'll get your money back and then some...more towards the later. I reckon, I look at just about everyone I buy as an investment in all reality. I do have a few sitting around that Ive bought over the years that I'd never get out of them what I paid to get them. And, I figure when I'm not around, someome will benifit from what I have taken care of and built up.
    EDIT: Ive parted with "several" in the past year or so to get more of what I can use.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  15. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

when colt stopped making double action revolvers i went on a wild spending spree, and i was a dealer at the time so i got most of them wholesale i knew with them stopping the revolver line it was the the begining of a rush to buy up all things colt. i started with the snakes. cobra, viper,diamondback, python,anaconda and yes even the elusive boa. then i went on to the service type guns police positive, official police metropolitain,trooper and lawman etc. when i started i looked at it as an investment, but didn't realize the prices would get as high as they are. it's time to weed some of these things out and cash out. 75 firearms might be a bit much :rolleyes: if i slump over one day , at the table hoppes #9 next to me with a bore brush down the barrel of some handgun, " LOCAL MAN FOUND DEAD LARGE CACHE OF FIREARMS FOUND" :D "neighbors said we didn't know he seemed like a normal guy"
  16. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I bought guns back in the 80's thinking I would make a fortune on the black market when guns were banned in this country. Lately I have sold a few to purchase some newer CC models. At the wholesale level, what you can get in a gun store, I am getting about what I originally paid for them back in the 80's. Not much of an investment but better than I'd get for new purchases if I tried to sell them back the same year I bought them. I do notice however, newspaper ads for used guns are asking as much or more than you can buy them new. My guess is the only people who would buy them would be those who couldn't legally purchase a gun over the counter.
  17. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    the answer is a definite yes with reservations.i received my first firearm when i was five years old.i still have it.my great grandfather told me many many years ago that to invest in firearms and precious metals was the way to go.i have probably over the years bought and sold hundreds of guns.i have never sold a gun that i didnt use the money to increase my collection.that is the trick,you always upgrade.i am now 59 years old and i still do the same thing but i do know that one day i will let a few go for vacations etc.the others i will hand down to another generation in hopes i can instill the same habits that i have kept over the years.i have guns that were owned by my great grandfather and i hope that some day it may be said about me. old semperfi