Involuntary Disconnects from ISP ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/23/01 7:16:03 am)
    | Edit | Del All Involuntary Disconnects from ISP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have previously posted on TFF regarding this problem.

To recap: I suffer a large number of involuntary disconnects from my ISP each day (a dozen or more). I have a dial-up connection. My ISP, the telephone company, and I have been working on this problem for many weeks, to no avail.

However, recently I made an interesting discovery that affects TFF:

With very few exceptions, when I suffer such an involuntary disconnect, I have a IE browser window open viewing some portion of TFF's website. I may, or may not, have other windows open to other sites, but when I suffer such an involuntary disconnect, I ALMOST ALWAYS have a window open to TFF.

I also notice that my security is always blocking one (or more) "cookies" when I access TFF. For example, as I write this, my software is blocking the following banner URL now: http://www.google.com/logos/Logo_40wht.gif

What is going on?

What is there about TFF's website that is causing me to get disconnected from my ISP?

Am I am beginning to get a tad paranoid (Ya'll read between the lines here.), fearing carnivorous critters behind every URL associated with TFF?

Is one of the EZ Board "cookies" causing me a problem? If so, what would be the software mechanism that would cause these disconnects?

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

warpig883
    (10/23/01 7:44:05 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: Involuntary Disconnects from ISP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No idea, I have never been kicked off. My cookies are enabled. I do have it set to take up minimum space for cookies and I delete them about once a week.
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

the real fredneck
    (10/23/01 7:46:07 am)
    Morning Debo
    I get disconnected several times a day too but I'm using a Mac and Navigator, I read and type pretty slow so by the time I get done with a page or entry the little screen pops up "you have been disconnected due to a lack of network activity" so have to dial up etc. really aggravates me after about the third time in a row

warpig883
    (10/23/01 7:55:37 am)
    fredneck, Don't know about your system but on mine I can set it not to disconnect ot to disconnect after an hour or whatever.
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

gpostal
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/23/01 10:17:25 am)
    wpig they all have that setting ,but debo is talking about having that turned off and still getting disconnected ,I suffer from the same thing ,over the next few days I will test debos theory by having tff on screen and tff off screen, I don't know why I have it ,but I think me and debo have a similar lousy isp. I reformatted my hard drive last week and it was ok for about four days ,now it is back to the same bull

i dont belive it is tff

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 11:14:13 am)
    I want to believe it's the ISP carrier. I have a ping program and can stay on line with a 56K modem for an indefinate period of time. "DAYS"
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Zigzag2
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/23/01 11:52:34 am)
    Hiya' Nebo, out of curiosity I ran the
    " www.google.com/logos/Logo_40wht.gif,
    it is the Google search pic. the same as we have at the bottom of our board.
    My guess is that your security is not allowing a complete loading of our site. You will need to enable enough cookies to run our site. (there should not be a pop-up problem that will add to your frustrations, due to our pop-up free environment.
    And secondly (not knowing what version of windows you are running), have you done any Microsoft Windows updates?
    You may want to check into the latest updates. They greatly improved my operating system.

Regards,
    Zig
    P.S. was it you that mentioned having extra computer parts available?

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 12:01:33 pm)
    Ziggy, I do! Tell me what you need! If I don't have it I may have a bud (Scrounge) that might.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/23/01 12:25:41 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Involuntary Disconnects from ISP
    Interesting to find out others are having the same trouble. I have experienced this situation for some time now. And, I have updated my system too.
    Keep me informed if you will. I'm still checking things out.
    Charlie D
    I appreciate any help.

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/23/01 7:18:04 pm)
    | Edit | Del Involuntary Disconnects...
    Re: Zigzag2

'Bout the last thing in the world that I want to do is to put you folks on tilt.

However...

If I enable cookies, I start getting involuntary disconnects when I visit TFF. Regular as clockwork. I can run hour after hour without any disconnects as long as I do not enable "Cookies" and then visit TFF. I am not having this problem with any other site. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

I am completely up-to-date with everything. I have done danced the dance up to and including buying the most recent iteration of McAfee, installing it, and scanning everything that I own.

I am at my wit's end. My ISP has worked on this problem until they "suggested" that I go to another ISP and leave them alone. And the telephone repair service won't take my calls. Damm aggrevating, it is.

The only clues that I have are those posted here.

You can say, "It ain't our fault" all that you want to, and, perhaps it ain't. One thing for sure, though, if I keep the cookies turned off when I visit TFF then the number of disconnects that I must endure goes down by, AT LEAST, an entire order of magnitude.

My belief is that it has something to do with the most recent IE Browser from Microsoft. Several other of my regular sites will not work properly with this new browser, Topozone, for one. The problem there has to do with a new implementation of Java. Topozone has not updated their software yet. Still, Topozone will not now work for me. If I wish to use their site I must go to an old version of IE Explorer.

THANK GOD FOR NEWER AND BETTER! --NOT!!!!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/23/01 7:26:45 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Involuntary Disconnects...
    GREAT...Here we go again...I thought you had it all taken care of with the last email. I guess its time to go back to the drawing board. What version of IE are you running?? 6 ??? Have you checked out the microsoft site for ideas? If not I'll head that way and see what I can come up with.

I learned a long time ago from many hours of trying to make it right again. If its working good, I do not do any upgrades except for virus software.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 7:28:08 pm)
    Neo, What IE version you running and what service pack?

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/23/01 8:08:43 pm)
    I am running IE Explorer 6.0.2600.0000

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 8:31:26 pm)
    Did your problems start before or after you upgraded to IE 6.0?

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/23/01 10:39:04 pm)
    I have had problems with involuntary disconnects for about two years. It appears that there is more than one cause of these disconnects.

I have tracked down some of the causes of these. For example, I have two telephone lines running into my home. One is dedicated to computer use. The other is a voice line. For some unknown reason I was having a signal cross problem. No short existed between the two lines. The phone company said that it appeared to be an "induced" cross. Well, I never figured out what that meant--the phone company didn't know either, but for whatever reason I had a signal cross, i.e., one could faintly hear transmissions on one line by listening on the other. Regardless, the phone company moved their entrance box to a position very near to the terminal end of their underground line, and I rewired all telephone related wiring on my end and completely replaced ALL of the hardware, phones, lines, etc.--everything is new. Result? No more signal cross problem.

However, even though solving the "cross" problem helped, it did not completely stop the involuntary disconnects. These continued BUT WITH a discernable pattern. Most, but not all, occurred after a connect time of approximately 59 minutes and 52 seconds. Yep, sounded like a software problem to me, too, so I upgraded my browser and turned off everything that I could find that would limit my online time.

Note that my IPS has nothing that automatically disconnects a customer whether the service is in use or not.

Well, great, upgrading to IE 6.0.2600.000 helped in some ways, and hurt in others. The number of involuntary disconnects went way down, to only a couple each day. However, a problem developed that I noticed when visiting TFF.

I started leaving a browser window open tuned to TFF. Great Goshen! Numerous involuntary disconnects. Why? Shucks, I don't know.

I noticed that I kept getting a privacy report message on the screen that informed me of a plethora of "cookies" that were blocked. Almost all of these were related to TFF. So...

Just for kicks, I blocked ALL cookies. Result? Since doing this, I have not had a single disconnect on any site other than TFF. When accessing TFF with cookies "OFF" I have a few disconnects. When accessing TFF with cookies "ON" the disconnects come like raindrops.

Again, I believe that most of the current crop of disconnects are related to the manner in which IE 6.x handles "cookies". TFF sends a plethora of cookies whenever you access their site and IE 6.x blocks most of these with the privacy setting on "Medium".

I am now blocking ALL cookies from ALL sources and I intend to run this way for a few days to see if I start getting disconnects on other sites.

If it matters, I have suffered 3 involuntary disconnects so far while composing this reply. TFF is involved and all cookies are blocked. Darned if I can figure out what is going on.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/24/01 12:35:28 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Involuntary Disconnects...
    No problems here Debo!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator