The Firearms Forum banner

IO AK47 from Atlantic Firearms

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Grizz 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
New to the forum and need some help. I'm looking at getting an AK47 and don't know much about them. I have some shooting buddies that have made purchases through Atlantic and had good experiences. I found this IO AK 47 for $599 and it looks pretty nice. They have it in wood furniture and ploy. So I'm looking for some input. There is even a video of it. Please put in any input of experience with either Atlantic for IO firearms.
Thanks!
Rob

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Buying an AK can be tricky. There have been some real duds. The ones everyone says to stay away from are Romanian AK47 kits built by Century Arms. I've heard horror stories but also heard Century is improving. It's a crap shoot with Century.

This one however looks like a sweet deal and personally I'd chance it though I don't know who built it. I've never dealt with Atlantic but it appears to be a quality AK. I would have preferred this to my Saiga conversion project.

I bought a real nice wood stock set which required that I purchase a new gas tube and mounting hardware for the fore grip and handguard. I had to thread the barrel which required that I purchase a die, plus he cost of a muzzle brake. Now I have to do a little gunsmithing and move the trigger group forward (a job I'm not all that comfortable about doing) and requires buying a trigger kit for over $100.00 total. There are other minor mods I'll have to make like installing a bullet guide for accepting AK mags, etc. In the end I'll have over $700.00 in it.

If I had seen this before I started the Saiga project I would have bought this one. Looks like very nice furniture and all the work's done.

BTW Welcome to TFF>

#3 ·
Just reworked an InterOrdnance AK47, not sold by Atlantic. Had to re-rivet the rear trunnion and re-attach the side scope rail. I do rank IO a half-step ahead of Century but on any of these rifles you need to look them over in-hand before buying if possible. Otherwise, be prepared to do some tweaking.

#4 ·
I'm looking for one, or an AR style. When, if, I get lucky enough to buy one and it's an AK, I want to to be a folder. I can see myself at home using it in a need-to situation, and I'd prefer it to be shorter for that.

#5 ·
I'm looking for one, or an AR style. When, if, I get lucky enough to buy one and it's an AK, I want to to be a folder. I can see myself at home using it in a need-to situation, and I'd prefer it to be shorter for that.
You might want a draco ak pistol. I have sold some of those and people like them. They are made by century. I will say this, I had a problem with one of the mags on a draco and called century and 5 days later had a new mag in the mail, so I think they will stand behind their stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.