Iraqi People & Police rally against Britain. WTF!?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by mpdc3870, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mpdc3870

mpdc3870 New Member

A protest demonstration was organized by some Iraqi "police", for which about 500 citizens and other officers turned out to protest the Britons use of force in freeing two of their own soldiers who had been arrested by Iraqi forces. Not terrorists, militia, or any of the "bad guys", but by actual Iraqi government police.

Let me get this straight, Britain, like the US, agrees to send it's young men and women into harms way on behalf of the impotent Iraqi "goverment" and it's fledgling infantile police force, only to have their soldiers "arrested" by these same kooks we are supposed to be helping out! Apparently they were initially accused of killing two Iraqi policemen, but during investigation, nobody could confirm that, and it appears they were approached and arrested by plainclothes Iraqi police for "acting suspicioulsy and gathering intelligence." The Iraqi police, upon learning of the plan to rescue the Brits then handed them over to militia forces loyal to Moqtada Al-Sadr to be hidden in a private residence, where- thankfully- they were located and secured by British forces.

WTF is going on over there! These jackasses couldn't liberate themselves from a wet towel and now they have the audacity to "arrest" coalition forces, for charges they can't articulate, and then hand them off hostage style house-to-house in the same manner as the pukes we are supposedly helping them fight. This is about the last straw for me. As the death toll breaks 1900, our finest who gave themselves obediently for "the cause", are now being protested and arrested by the very sacks that supposedly need our help. The only reason this isn't a huge outrage is because it happened to the Brits istead of US troops. We should all be offended and outraged by this traiterous lack of appreciation. It's been well past time to put the boys on the next plane home and turn the entire place into a parking lot. Them Iraqi's better thank Allah that I don't run the show, or Iraq would be the next entry in the Guinness Book of World records for "Largest Sheet of Glass".
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I agree. The Iraqis are not thankful for our presence there. Even the ones who work with us and that we're training to replace us. We can stay there for 10 more years and it still won't change that. We're wasting our own hard-earned money and our fighting men and womens' lives on these people who despise us. But we're spreading democracy, by golly. :roll:

But aside from that, I can't really blame the Iraqis. Regardless of whether we're there to help or not, we are on their soil and if they have cause to believe that we've done something illegal (like kill their policemen), we can't just get a free pass. I say "we", meaning coalition forces. Let's put ourselves in their shoes. For example, in the wake of Katrina, Mexico and Belgium sent armed forces here to "help" us with the security issues in New Orleans. Now let's say that some of these armed Mexican soldiers shot and killed two of our New Orleans police officers. Don't you think we should arrest them? Or just give them a pass because they're here to "help"? I can understand the Iraqis wanting justice for the murder of their friends, and since the coalition obviously won't give it to them they took it into their own hands.
  3. mpdc3870

mpdc3870 New Member

You raise good and valid points Sniper, as always, but beyond the lack of appreciation by Iraq's own gov't and police forces, my unrest lies with the fact that they seem to think it appropriate to arbitrarily "arrest" these British troops, for charges that nobody can explain or substantiate, and handle them in a completely unprofessional, amateur- terrorist manner. If the roles were reversed, as in your example, and a foreign soldier commited a crime on US soil, they most certainly should be held accountable. The difference being that in that scenerio, there would be formal charging documents, and notification to that nations embassy as well as strict accountablility for the safety and whereabouts of that prisoner. Secretly handing over coalition soldiers to citizen militants directly affiliated with a radical cleric who vowed to fight US forces to the death doesn't really set well with me. There have been cases in the past of US troops stepping out of line in the past, Okinawa, Bosina, etc. They weren't given a free pass, as well they shouldn't have been. But they were at least handled as criminal suspects in a manner consistent with a competent gov't agency. Iraq is simply an experiment in letting the inmates run the asylum.
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Yes I agree. But perhaps it may have to do with the fact that they don't even have a Constitution yet, much less a working government or enforceable laws. I'm just guessing. I don't even know if they have such a thing as prosecutors or judges right now. I think it's all pretty much US military control. And so when the US military refuses to arrest or charge the British soldiers who have allegedly done something wrong, the Iraqis in their quest for justice feel the need to take it into their own hands. I agree with you that it wasn't done properly. But perhaps there isn't a "proper" way at this time? I really don't know.

But it does seem clear that the Iraqis are starting to tire of coalition forces being there and operating above the law. I just hope we don't end up with the people of this nation hating us when it's all said and done. It seemed the majority of people genuinely appreciated our presence at first, but that's really starting to wane. We can't afford to let bad PR like this case turn the tide of public opinion in Iraq.