Iron Sight and Scope Question

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by sandkicker, Jan 19, 2010.

1. sandkicker

sandkicker New Member

Hello... Newbie question

After a long hiatus from shooting, I've found myself getting reacquainted with an old friend, my Marlin 78. When I purchased it, I also got a variable power scope which is long gone. I wasn't a fan of this particular scope ( I think it was a Tasco) as the location of the crosshairs on a target changed in a spiral (rifle sandbagged) as the scope power was changed which annoyed me greatly.
    Today, my big issue is that after cataract surgery 10 years ago, I find that I cannot form an acceptable sight picture with the standard fold down rear sight. I tried my reading glasses, however, then the target totally disappears (indoor distances). At the time I had the surgery I elected "distance vision" for both eyes. Sooo... any suggestions for iron sights or am I going to have to use a scope. I have no problem with a sight picture with my Ruger MK1 bull barrel.

Also... recommendations for a scope for the Marlin..
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have used many different scopes over the years and have found most ok on my rifles,i dont think you will be able to go back to open sights,however a scope with longer eye releif and lower power might fit your needs.i would suggest a two and one half power to start.nikon and burris are two that i use but i also use tasco on rimfire with no problems.this lower power scope will be easier to aquire sight picture and allow a larger field of vision.one other thing,you might go to gun store and look at one of the new high viz sights and if they work you can then try and find one to fit your gun.i hope some of this helps old semperfi
  3. George of the Jungle

George of the Jungle New Member

I've seen some very nice red dot scopes that are reasonably priced and made specifically for rimfires. They are usually low power (i.e. 1x) but they are very easy to look through.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Go top the local drug store and find the area where they sell reading glasses. Select a pair starting at about +0.5 to +1.0 diopters and try them on. Position something about the distance from your eye to the front sight and then look beyond at something across the store either at your shooting distance or farther. Keep trying increasing powers until the front sight object is relatively sharp and the distant "target" is relatively sharp. But the front sight should be sharper than the target object if there has to be a compromise. That should do it.

LDBennett
  5. sandkicker

sandkicker New Member

Think I'll try the drug store route first. If that doesn't work... scope shopping time. Thanks for your feedback guys...!