Iron Sights

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by joseph25, Aug 30, 2009.

1. joseph25

joseph25 New Member

I have a russian M44, 7.62x54R, and I took it to the range recently. At 100 yards out, it was shooting about 14-16 inches high, while the iron sights were on the lowest setting. I was wondering if this was common for my kind of rifle or if there might be a problem I hadn't considered.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I do not think so. Your rear sight is likely graduated in meters. {500 M = 550 yds.}

I am not very familiar with M44 . I can not remember what design of open rear sight it uses. One often used design always lays basically horizontal and can be raised similar to an open sporting rifle sight. The other design is called a "Ladder" type. when it lays flat it is likely sighted for about 500 yards ("battle range"). To make the rifle shoot correctly at shorter or longer ranges, the sight is flipped up like a ladder and the notched crossbar adjusted by its markings.

If you do not have a ladder rear sight, my best guesses are that the wrong (to low) front sight is installed or you have a rifle with a bent barrel or a barrel that is not in proper alignment with the receiver. If the problem is with the barrel and receiver you likely would be better of to sell and get another as compared to paying to have it fixed.

If you have a ladder rear sight, move it to the vertical position and set the cross bar on the lowest position which will likely be 200. Now the rifle should shoot about 2" to 3" high at 100 yards. A ladder sight folded flat to "Battle Position" might well print as much as 11" high at 100 to put the heavy bullet on target at 550 yards. {I am making some "guesstimates" here based on other experiences.}

Good luck.
  3. joseph25

joseph25 New Member

It does have the ladder rear sightn, but the numbers range from 1 to 8 (or 10 I'd hsve to look at it).but if the lowest setting is meant for 500 yards, then that would explain it. Thanks for your input!
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Next time you go to the range. Flip the rear sight vertical (like a ladder) and set the crossbar on (1) 100 meters or 110 yards. See how it groups.