Is .32 cal the same size as .32S&WL?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by DavidKymo, Jan 5, 2017.

1. DavidKymo

DavidKymo New Member

I have a H&R 732 with a 4" barrel .32 S&W Long. I want to put a 2 1/2" barrel that just says 32 cal.
    Is it the same diameter and will it work? What .32 bullet would NOT fit?

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am not an expert in any thing, but I do believe the .32 is a .32 is a .32!! The .32 is the diameter of the bullet and a quick look at one of my reloading manuals shows that the diameter of a .32 S&W is the same as a modern .32 ACP and that diameter is .337 inches.

carver likes this.

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't know what manual you were looking at, George, but a 32 pistol uses either a .311 or a .313 bullet.

Yes, David, it will work,

carver likes this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Slug them both and remove all doubt.

jim brady, carver and Grizzley1 like this.
  5. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

.32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal Magnum all use .312 diameter jacketed bullets, and .313-.314 lead bullets. The only difference is Case Over All Length. .32 ACP uses a .311 diameter jacket bullet.

You should be able to shoot down the calibers, just not up it. If you do shoot .32 S&W thru it, just know your chambers will foul up and you may not be able to shoot .32 S&W Longs till you clean the chambers.

carver likes this.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I guess I was looking at the diameter of the mouth of the brass, but still a .32 is a .32 is a .32, no matter what I was looking at.

7. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

I did just the opposite with my H&R 732. I replaced my 2 1/2" barrel with a 4" barrel. As long as you use and H&R 732 barrel it shouldn't be a problem. You can find them on eBay for $20 or so, and I still have the one I removed from my 732. There is a barrel pin that allows you to get the adjustment correct.

Just be aware there are two frame sizes. I didn't realize this until I wanted to upgrade to the larger grips. Mine still has the small frame grips.

Attached Files:

8. DavidKymo

DavidKymo New Member

Mine has the larger frame. I knew there's a little pin, but I didn't know how to extract it. I basically want a flat side snub instead of the rounded 4" it came with.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Sorry, the 732 with the 2 1/2" barrel came with smaller grips and the 732 with the 4" barrel came with larger grips. If you look at the picture of mine, it has the compact grips. Here is a link for Numrich Gunparts that shows the difference.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/HarringtonRichardson-33274/Revolvers-36449/732-38093.htm

There is a pin in the frame that keeps the barrel from rotating. You need a small punch to drift the pin out.

10. Shrek73

Shrek73 Active Member

Any small punch should push it out. The barrel will not be easy to turn off. I put two blocks of wood in a vise, tightened it and drilled a hole between them. That will great cavity for the barrel. Put the barrel between the wood and retighten in the vice. You will have to get it pretty tight and turn the frame counter clockwise. It will spin off

11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Put some resin, from the sporting goods store, in the hole. Helps it grip better. (Y'all know resin, right, pitchers use it on their throwing hand, gymnasts use it so they don't slip off the bar.)

12. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

If you don't have powdered rosin you can substitute granulated sugar. It works just as well.