Is .40 goin to be hard to find?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by conan1, Dec 29, 2009.

1. conan1

conan1 New Member

I was talking to someone I work with and he said the government has an order for .40 and to buy what you can find because it is going to be scarce. Anyone with a better insight on this? He said the cost of reloading has increased to the point that its just as cost effective to just shoot market rounds also. Don't think he has his head on right but would like to hear your thoughts.
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Your friend is likely referring to this report from a few months ago:
    http://www.gunreports.com/news/ammo/Winchester-ICE-Homeland-Security-ICE_1460-1.html

I don't think it will have much of an impact on ammo supplies. Also, notice that it is a specific brand and weight. Unless that's exactly what you're looking for, I doubt a noticeable difference will be seen. It may take up some extra production capacity at Winchester.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

They are as far away as my loading bench. The costs have risen but it is still less expensive per round to roll your own. You can also shoot cast reloads (your own) at significantly less cost.
  4. GBertolet

GBertolet Member

You should be able to load your own with jacketed or plated bullets for about 10 bucks for a box of 50, if you buy the bullets in bulk. If you cast your own bullets, with free or almost free lead, preferably wheel weights, you can cut that amount almost in half. Factory ball ammo the last time I checked, was about 20 bucks a box of 50, and not getting any cheaper. If you don't have any reloading or bullet casting equiptment, you will have to factor in those costs also in your decision.
  5. army mp

army mp Member

6. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

My reloads cost only 1/2 of what factory ammo costs, sometimes less. I do not cast my own bullets.

The lower cost and improved performance from tuning the ammo to my gun are why I load my own.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

normally 40 caliber ammo is all that the local walmart has on it's shelves anymore
  8. cakes

cakes New Member

The government has had an order in for .40 since it was introduced. It won't affect a thing. The only difference is that, for some strange reason, you heard about this order.
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

It's the same way here. .40 is just about the only pistol ammo they seem to have.
  10. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

lots of federal 40's and winchester 45 acp this am wally world conway
  11. mikld

mikld Active Member

I was looking at reloading supplies on the web and have seen some prices have gone back down to "pre election panic" prices. Primers seem to still be high, but powder and some bullets have dropped.
  12. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

I shoot the 40 S&W, and have found it to be plentiful here in So. California, they seem to keep the 40 more stocked than any of the other calibers.

Regards

tEN wOLVES
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You're correct, he's got a short between the headset. The order is for up to 50 gazzilion rounds, doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to actually purchase that many. The total amount of the order is only a small percentage of what is made by all ammo companies combined; there will be plenty to go around.
    Handloading is and always will be cheaper than factory ammo, unless of course ..... well, I don't want to go there, but I'm stocked up just in case. If you get to the range often, then reloading is probably worth looking into. It's not something I would recommend to everyone, (ie your coworker). It's just as addicting as going to the range.

Semper Fi and Best of Luck in your endevours,

Woolley
  14. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

As a commercial carpenter ,have done work in the same building as the Midwest FBI HQ on many occasions..watched 'em haul pallets of the stuff up the freight elevator. Those kids go through a lot of ammo.
  15. NitroDave08

NitroDave08 New Member

Same here in Cheyenne.